Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lowerpro Camera Backpack

Started by Jay-11 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Lowerpro Camera Backpack

10 posts
  1. Looking for a new camera backpack to carry my camera equip and strobes when traveling.  Wanted to see if anyone is using this backpack or have other suggestions.

     Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II

    Had actually found one that I liked but it is no longer being produced.  Any suggestions or comments on this bag is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Warren

     

  2. 9 minutes ago, Jay-11 said:

    Looking for a new camera backpack to carry my camera equip and strobes when traveling.  Wanted to see if anyone is using this backpack or have other suggestions.

     Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II

    Had actually found one that I liked but it is no longer being produced.  Any suggestions or comments on this bag is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Warren

     

    Be helpful to know what you are trying to fit in the bag.  I use the Think Tank streetwalker hard drive model.  It will fit my m43 system including housing, 170mm dome, macro port, 100mm dome, 2 x INON Z-240 and the lenses.  It has sleeve under neath for a laptop.  Very well built, mine is now 12 years old and still going strong and has been on a great many trips.  Here's a pic with it loaded up:

    Think Tank

    There's quite a long thread on the topic here: 

    View archived post in: packing and transporting my rig

     

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  3. My wife is using the Lowepro BP 450 II. It is very good built quality. It is probably the biggest what juuust fits the regulations of airlines for hand lugagge. I use the Lowepro Protactic 450 AW that i find more handsome with little less space. If I would buiy now, I would go for the Protactic...

    Maybe Lowpro is not the cheapest, but you get very good quality (often buying cheap ends up expensive, because it means buying muliple)...

     

    Wolfgang

  4. I used last time a Peak Design 45l Travel Backpack in combination with a small Camera Cube for my Inons Z330. Will try out later this year a bigger setup if I get my Sony A7 IV at some time. But I like this backpack with the cube at the moment. Good protection and not to big so it can be used as hand luggage. 

    The only drawback is, it is not that extrem padded for comfort as other backbacks but its extrem heavy when empty but I like the custom aspect, to choose which camera cube I need and how much space I need to fill up with protected gear. 

    Edited by JYk
  5. 13 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Be helpful to know what you are trying to fit in the bag.  I use the Think Tank streetwalker hard drive model.  It will fit my m43 system including housing, 170mm dome, macro port, 100mm dome, 2 x INON Z-240 and the lenses.  It has sleeve under neath for a laptop.  Very well built, mine is now 12 years old and still going strong and has been on a great many trips.  Here's a pic with it loaded up:

    Think Tank

    There's quite a long thread on the topic here: 

    View archived post in: packing and transporting my rig

     

    Chris, will be carrying 2 camera bodies, 105mm lens, 60mm lens, 10-17 Tokina, 45 degree Nauticam viewfinder, 15" laptop and 2 Retra strobes for the most part and a few other camera & laptop accessories.  Yes, that thread is pretty long and some of the bags from that thread are no longer being produced, which brought me to ask a new question.   

  6. I like the Lowepro bags, but find their divider layout frustrating unless you are carrying the gear they think you should be.  If you are willing to scrounge and substitute other dividers, then I like the bags okay.  I find the ThinkTank bags a bit more flexible for non-standard stuff like underwater gear.

    I have a protactic 350, but my son uses it more than I do.  The shape of the bag interferes a bit with capacity.  Lots of rounded corners and curves.  In general, bags designed to give quick access to the gear end up being compromised if what you need is a bag to transport gear, without any need to grab a camera out while on the move.  At least that is how it seems to me.

  7. I'm very happy with my configuration. I use the backpack with wheels model Neewer 2-in-1 bought on Amazon. It has a weight of 2.8 kgs and measures 49x33x20 cms. It complies with the measures as hand luggage on the plane. It has wheels and you can carry it on your back (I do not recommend it).

    As a negative, it cost me € 60 and now it costs € 119

    Contents of my backpack for an MFT system: Olympus OMD EM5 Mark III + Nauticam

    • Housing w/ cam
    • Vacuum
    • 2x Strobes (Inon S2000) + Batteries + Sync cables
    • Diffusers
    • Mini dome
    • Macro port
    • Arms & clamps
    • Focus light
    • Other accesories
    • 14" Laptop

    The total weight is 7.8 kg with 14" Laptop and 6.4 Kg without 14" laptop. Camera and lenses I carry separately in another small bag.

    IMG_0781.jpg

    IMG_0787.JPG

    IMG_0788.JPG

    Edited by turandot
  8. @turandot This looks like a great bag.  What are the actual external dimensions please? Amazon is a little inconsistent on the measurements!

  9. Amazon's measurements are correct. These are the approximate measurements made by me:

    External: 49(H) x 33(W) x 20(D) cms
    Internal: 42(H) x 31(W) x 15(D) cms
    (height x width x depth)

    IMG_0780.jpg

    IMG_0784.JPG

    Edited by turandot
  10. Thanks @turandot

    This would seem to meet hand baggage requirements!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.