Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How is the performance of the Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye behind a domeport?

Started by Architeuthis ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

How is the performance of the Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye behind a domeport?

4 posts
  1. I am curious and would like to know how the IQ and other practical performance of the SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye lens is behind a domeport. Does someone here have practical experience (presumably from the old days)?

     

    The reason why I ask is, that an adapter for Pentax to Sony mount came out, that MAY allow the use of this lens (that can still be acquired on the second hand hand market) on Sony cameras: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/monsteradapter-la-ke1-review-get-eye-af-with-your-pentax-lenses-on-sony-e-mount

    This FF zoom fisheye lens is not (yet?) on the list of compatible lenses at Monster Adapters. I asked and they responded that they will get the lens and test whether it is compatible and, in case it is required and possible, modify the firmware accordingly...

    Provided that the optical performance of the Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye lens behind a domeport is good (and the adapter fits into the N100 Nauticam housings (what seems possible at the first glance), this lens may be well worth a consideration ...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  2. Unlikely this lens would focus in any dome unless it was huge because the lens has a minimum focus distance of 0.45M or 17.72 inches. Mosts fisheye zoom lenses like the Canon 8-15 and Nikon 8-15 have minimum focus distances' of 15cm & 16mm respectively.  

  3. I believe Phil is correct, 450mm is a longish min focal distance, you might just get the lens to focus on an object 1m away UW in a 230 mm dome, but I think there is probably no chance in the Nauticam 140mm dome.  Note I said might - I plugged some numbers into a dome port calculator which indicates the the virtual image would be 451mm away with a 230mm dome (120mm radius of curvature) for an object actually 1m away.  The calculation is noted to be an approximation though and I wouldn't trust it as the basis for buying a 230mm dome to try it out!!

  4. 8 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

    Unlikely this lens would focus in any dome unless it was huge because the lens has a minimum focus distance of 0.45M or 17.72 inches. Mosts fisheye zoom lenses like the Canon 8-15 and Nikon 8-15 have minimum focus distances' of 15cm & 16mm respectively.  

     

    I was already wondering, why this lens is not used more often UW. Sounds like the long minimum focus distance may be the reason...:wacko:

     

    Wolfgang

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.