Hi Adam, great talk about the new Z9. Thanks for your review. I look forward to taking the Z9 underwater someday with the new Nauticam Z9 housing. Given the price, it will have to be a rental!
First, I want to start off by saying the new Z 105mm Macro is a spectacular lens and sharper than any lens in my kit. However, I have the same issue with the Z 105mm Macro on the Z6 II, where it will rack all the way out then back in and then finally grab focus. It doesn’t do it all the time, but enough to be annoying. I have tried different settings on the camera, but it seems to be best set to AF-C, back button and dynamic area AF. However, when I mount my AF-S 60mm Macro on the FTZ the AF is very fast, or at least as fast as the D850. Therefore, I was surprised at your experience with the AF-S 105mm Macro with the FTZ. I think the focus issue with Z 105mm Macro is due to the firmware in the lens itself and not the AF of the camera. Hopefully, Nikon will release a firmware update for this lens soon.
Second, the high resolution EVFs like new Nikon and Sony mirrorless cameras are best viewed with an enhanced viewfinder like the new Nauticam Enhanced Full Frame viewfinder 0.8:1. I have recently switched to this viewfinder and the image is stunning, even through my dive mask. With the built-in diopter, I can adjust it for my eyesight and can review the captured image focus very clearly. Take a look at this new Nauticam viewfinder on a full frame mirrorless camera and I believe you will also be impressed.
Thanks again for a great review!
Larry