Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WB - Custom or in post?

Started by vaidhy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

WB - Custom or in post?

4 posts
  1. I have been hearing different things from everyone. FWIW, I shoot both videos and photos. One group says do WB every couple of meters and others say do everything in post.

     

    From what I can understand, the camera will do the same thing I can do in post, but my LCD screen will show an more accurate representation if I do custom WB.

     

    Is this correct? Will the camera somehow magically capture a better image/video if I do custom WB? Or is the custom WB only meant for jpeg shooters and not for raw captures?

     

    Looking forward to the discussion.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. It depends - for stills with strobes I use Auto WB and it comes back with colours pretty close straight up in the Raw processor.  For ambient stills you can do either way in Raw, but I certainly like the convenience of coming in close to target when you open the shot.  Video on the other hand generally doesn't have the same capacity for adjusting WB in post as stills and most people will custom WB to get it as close as possible out of camera.

  3. If no strobes or lights and only shooting ambient/filters, always white balance in camera. Get it as close as possible in camera so you don't have to push it too hard in post.

  4. Thanks

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.