Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lost Fish

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Lost Fish

3 posts
  1. While night diving in Anilao, I met this fish who told me he was suffering from memory loss and no longer knew his name.
    Please let me know if you recognize him.

    _ADS9925_resize.jpg

  2. Oxycheilinus digramma - cheeklined wrasse

     

  3.  

    Hello, Jim: 

    Many thanks for the prompt iidentification, I have now found this fine fish on page 220 of Allen, Steene, Humann & DeLoach's book.  Which fish id book(s) do you use?
    Cheers!  Elias

     

    JimG  23

    Hi Elias

    Mainly the same as you but  with uncertain ones, once I think I have found the right "family" - in this case wrasse, I find Fishbase a really good place to search - also iNaturalist. Incidentally, I meant to put in my reply that your fish is I believe a male in breeding colours. Females and juveniles can be confusing as the cheek lines are often indistinct or maybe not even present.  I find wrasse and parrotfish generally a real PITA due age, sexual, surroundings, mood and diet all possibly influencing colour - so good luck with those two groups!

    Jim

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.