Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Good source of info for beginner wide angle?

Started by Forgotten How to Shoot ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Good source of info for beginner wide angle?

4 posts
  1. It has been so long since I last did any underwater photography (see my intro for details) that I can't even remember whether it is F stop or shutter speed or something else that controls the background blue water when shooting wide angle so I need to get up to speed again as I'm off to a wide angle destination in June - 10 years without a camera in my hand has been far too long it seems - or else I'm just getting old and senile!

    Can anyone recommend some basic tutorials on wide angle for getting the blues right and what F stop and Shutter speed do?

    I vaguely remember that the 7D had a sweet spot for the iso - can anyone tell me what that was?

  2. Hi FHtS

    It's the shutter speed that you need to change for the background shade of blue.

    On tutorials, I can recommend two books:

    Alex Mustard's "Underwater Photography  Masterclass"  ISBN 978-1-78145-222-6

    and Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer" ISBN 978-0-240-52164-0 

    I'm not a Canon user so not sure about the 7D but for wide-angle I generally use ISO200 but that's in tropical waters with reasonable light. 

    I hope that gets you started... and welcome back!

  3. ty all, I was just looking for the same info!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.