Hi
I have had previous Canon compacts and became used to frequent white balance setting.
the G5X Mk2 is different because it requires the extra step of shooting an image and then using that as a reference. What puzzles me is that, if the camera is in custom WB mode, then the image you take is already influenced by the existing white balance setting, if you see what I mean.
So a WB that was set at 30m will be very red if used to take a sample shot at 5m, so the shot of a white slate will produce a red image, which would then be used as a reference producing, presumably, blue tinged shots at 5m.
If this is the case, would it be worth having a slate with an adjustable depth marker, then one could scroll through a few samples with the depths marked, any thoughts?
I have not tried this underwater, but simulated it on land by shooting a blue card (so the camera thought that it was at 30m) then shot a white card which, as expected, gave a red image, using the resulting image to set white balance, sure enough the result was a very blue video.
Unless I have it wrong (hopefully) using a photo as a reference means that, if the colours of the reference photo have already been colour corrected by the camera, they do not refer to the actual colours of the scene.
would one have to take the reference shot using Auto WB to avoid having the influence of custom WB?