I was wondering if anyone had perfected a way of cleaning the inside of acrylic domes? I think my camera introduces quite a bit of sand and dust particles into the housing that are easy enough to clean in the body of the housing, but these also trickle into the dome which I am a little more nervous to fiddle with. Can lens cleaning liquid be used in acrylic or will it damage it? What other options are there? I find brushes can sometimes just smear stuff around rather than collecting and removing and feel the need for a more thorough approach. What's your go-to?
Thanks!
I’m sure you’ll get advice on suitable acrylic liquid cleaners. A camera lens blower also helps to get particles out. Hold the dome port end down and blow away.
But I’d also ask the question how sand is getting there in the first place. The dome is presumably sealed and water-tight during the dive. Even with shore dives, There should only possibly be sand on the exterior and a good rinse/soak should remove that. Open the housing somewhere clean and sand shouldn’t enter the system.
Thanks, to be clear the sand isn't leaking in from the water, I use my camera (outside of housing) on the beach a lot (shorebirds) and even after cleans, it still ships sand wherever it goes. Appreciate your input.
Ahhhhhh...... thanks for the clarification. Blower brush!
get a good big blower bulb, not one of the little toy ones. The Gioto rocket blower is good. Blast away before cleaning. If it is purely sand it should all dislodge and be able to blow out. Don't wipe it with anything until all the sand is gone or you'll scratch it.
Thanks @ChrisRoss
On 5/7/2022 at 4:17 AM, RjbSA said:
I think my camera introduces quite a bit of sand and dust particles into the housing that are easy enough to clean in the body of the housing, but these also trickle into the dome which I am a little more nervous to fiddle with.
I've used lens cleaner and cloth to clean the inside of my dome, without issue. More often though, I just use a clean, dust-free cloth.
Others have mentioned this, but I think I'd make a real effort to keep sand from getting inside any of your kit. That stuff can do so much damage to literally everything, but most importantly, your o-rings.
I use detergent and water to clean the inside of my domes using my fingers. Pour out the water carefully and mop up any residual beads with a tissue. Allow to dry.
Thanks @Stoo and @PeteAtkinson for the replies, good to get confirmation that lens cleaner is safe. I've since tried using just a little water and then a clean lens cloth to dry and found that to be a nice mild option too. cheers