Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Zeiss milvus 18 mm on Nikon D850 underwater

Started by Gregersen ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Zeiss milvus 18 mm on Nikon D850 underwater

5 posts
  1. I wonder if anyone in the comunity , has ever used the

    Zeiss Milvus 18 mm 2,8 behind a Domeport.

    I remember reading that David Doubilet had nikon cameraes

    customised so he was able to use Contax (zeiss) lenses in the old days

    because of the quality (better debt of field) but it was for macro photography.

    but what about a rektalinear ? is it any good ?

    best regards Peter

  2. I'm sure it's a fine lens and maybe it's better on land than something like a Nikon 16-35mm f4, but behind a dome underwater you might be hard pressed to see any improvement - a lenses  performance on land doesn't always translate  into the good performance behind a dome.  I see it's listed on Nauticam's Canon EF port chart but not the Nikon F port chart.

     

  3. 2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I'm sure it's a fine lens and maybe it's better on land than something like a Nikon 16-35mm f4, but behind a dome underwater you might be hard pressed to see any improvement - a lenses  performance on land doesn't always translate  into the good performance behind a dome.  I see it's listed on Nauticam's Canon EF port chart but not the Nikon F port chart.

     

    Thanks Chriss

    I have read the tests and topics on wide angle lenses both fisheye and rectilinear and I own several wideangle lenses,

    but I have never seen anything about the Milvus, and it might be the best ever ;) if no-one have used it.

    Peter

  4. 5 hours ago, Gregersen said:

    Thanks Chriss

    I have read the tests and topics on wide angle lenses both fisheye and rectilinear and I own several wideangle lenses,

    but I have never seen anything about the Milvus, and it might be the best ever ;) if no-one have used it.

    Peter

    Hi Peter,

    One of my oldest lenses for Sony mirrorless is the Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 which I have used since Sony A7 II with Zen 170mm, 200mm and 230mm ports as well as the recommended 180mm Nauticam port. I have also tested the lens with the S&S 77mm correction lens. This lens has very much the same image quality as the Milvus version and the 18mm AOV is excellent for U/W work especially when working close to mid-size subjects. I also use it for splits. It clearly outperforms other 18mm F/2.8 lenses I have used. If you already own the lens I would give it a go with the largest port and proper extension you have.

     

     

    untitled-03643.jpg

    untitled-04476.jpg

  5. On 5/12/2022 at 8:32 PM, Phil Rudin said:

    Hi Peter,

    One of my oldest lenses for Sony mirrorless is the Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 which I have used since Sony A7 II with Zen 170mm, 200mm and 230mm ports as well as the recommended 180mm Nauticam port. I have also tested the lens with the S&S 77mm correction lens. This lens has very much the same image quality as the Milvus version and the 18mm AOV is excellent for U/W work especially when working close to mid-size subjects. I also use it for splits. It clearly outperforms other 18mm F/2.8 lenses I have used. If you already own the lens I would give it a go with the largest port and proper extension you have.

     

     

    untitled-03643.jpg

    untitled-04476.jpg

    thanks Phil

    I don't own one now, but I saw one to a very good price, and wondered if I should get it.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.