Some recent discussions on packing gear for travel got me to thinking and I wonder what others think about this...
Basically, assuming one has the need to split gear up into carry-on and checked, and from a damage standpoint, which is most important to carry?
My thinking is that the risks to camera gear during travel (besides theft and loss by airline) are physical damage due to crushing and denting of luggage, damage due to luggage coming open and spilling contents, and sometimes moisture. Additionally, and less often considered is shock (not electrical...physical), which can be extreme as shown in videos I have posted previously. I recently purchased a lens from Nikon and had to return it because when it arrived, quite literally, pieces were rattling around inside the lens. Nikon concluded the box must have been dropped or thrown in shipment. Despite no visible damage whatsoever to the lens or the packing, the lens was ruined. I also suspect shock during shipment is the culprit in many of the incidents when people report buying lenses with de-centered elements.
I think everyone would agree that camera bodies and lenses and multi-element ports (like WWL / WACP, etc) are the most delicate items. But then we get to flash units, flat ports and dome ports and housings. I recently arrived at a dive destination to find my flash trigger dead. I have no evidence, but wonder if the circuit board failed due to some shock encountered on the trip to the dive destination.
So, if one had to choose whether housing, flash units or ports had to get checked or carried which would be the best choice to pack in luggage? Perhaps omitting the great big domes which have their own particular issues.