Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Decisions?

Started by smk82 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Decisions?

3 posts
  1. Currently considering upgrading my camera (OMD-EM10 Mk 1). I have most of the ports/lens that I want so want to stay with the Olympus/Panasonic range so they are compatible.

     

    Looking at the nauticam housings, I see that the em5 mk3 and em10 mk4 are the same price( although they have gone up considerably since I last bought one!) it’s probably down to these two as I might be able to pick up a second hand em5 for the same price as an em10 new.

     

    Main issue I have is the separate em5 flash providing additional bulk/something else to forget and slightly larger/heavier housing. I like the small/neatness of the em10. On the plus side is the improved autofocus on the em5 compared to the contrast only with the em10?

     

    Is the improvement in AF between the two really that good?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. I shoot with the EM-1 MkII and previously with the EM-5 MkII.  I expect your EM-10 and the new model MkIV will have similar AF, while the EM-5 MkIII has AF similar to the EM-1 MkII.  I found the EM-1 MkII a good upgrade from the EM-5 MkII particularly the FA with the 60mm macro being significantly better.

    You can still buy EM-1 MkII new last I looked and the price was quite competitive and that may be an option as well.

  3. I’ve followed the same path as Chris and agree that the EM-1 mk II has significantly better autofocus with most lenses.  Another factor is ergonomics. At least with Nauticam, although the housing is larger, the NA-EM1 is much easier to use than the NA-EM5 thanks to better handles and thumb/finger triggers for the shutter and back button focus. 

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.