Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Thoughts on this housing adapter

Started by hedonist222 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Thoughts on this housing adapter

2 posts
  1. This is an Aquatica 5d mkii housing

    I installed the Aquatica fiber optic led trigger 

     

    The housing plug seals the body via 2 o-rings

    The first/top o-ring is what seals the housing

    I don't understand what purpose the second o-ring serves

    Anyways, so other housing plugs are more robust - in the sense that it's a 2 piece system

    The plug that's inserted into the housing hole and a nut that secures the plug - the nut ensures a tight seal and prevents the plug from coming out and flooding the housing

    The fiber optic adapter just seems like it'll allow a flood?

    I mean, it shouldn't, right?

    It was designed by Aquatica for use in their housings

    They know better

    But at the same time, it just seems flimsy

    This clip I took illustrates all this:

    https://youtu.be/XGLACoH7e38

     

    Thank you

  2. The tight seal is not provided by the nut -the water pressure provides the sealing force.  I would think the retaining o-rings on your fibre optic ports will be fine.  On Nauticam housing the accessory viewfinders are retained by o-rings and have a double o-ring seal to keep it water tight.

    i expect you housing will be fine, though I would test it first either a dive empty or a vacuum test.  An o-ring seal is only as good as its last assembly.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.