I am trying to be very pragmatic (read lazy) and figure out how muxh of float arm bouyancy I need to get my kit neutral, or close to neutral in sea water.
I have Nikon D850 in S&S housing with 45 VF and 230 glass Zen domeport as well as 2 Inon z330s. Mostly fisheye setup (8-15) but occasionally 16-35 and then some extensions as well. Sometines I use smaller dome ports as well. I already have a pair of Nauticam carbon floating arms and need more. But how much more exactly?
Maybe somebody has similar setup and did all homework (how much grams of bouyancy, measure weight of setup in water etc) and I can just copy/paste :-)
Thanks, Marko
It is very simple. Assemble your kit as if for a dive with batteries and everything, fill the bathtub, use a luggage scale to weigh it.
Yep, what PhotoJunkie says. Whatever weight the scales give you is the amount of positive buoyancy you need to add. Bare in mind though it’ll be slightly less needed for salt water if you weigh your gear in a bathtub.
if you don't have a scale you could put the camera in the housing without a lens, or put no camera at all, and use the known weights of the camera or lens to guess how far off you are. Also the Z-330's are supposed to be 61g negative I believe, that could help.
Agree the best way is to hang from a luggage scale you want to be about neutral to slightly negative. You'll need a deep tub or a pool to do it as you want everything underwater and not touching the sides or bottom.
Another alternative is the Kraken adjustable float arm which you can flood to get really close to neutral, it's 385 gr buoyancy if not flooded.