Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica Vs Ikelite Arms?

Started by AggressorBLUE ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica Vs Ikelite Arms?

3 posts
  1. Been shooting Ikelite stuff my whole ‘career’ in diving/shooting (~15 years) and now finally looking to upgrade and/or expand my OG Ikelite arms (the solid bar kind with 1” balls that lack o-rings) to something newer.  Among the reasons, I want to go from single segment arm to dual segment. On one end of the arms is an Ikelite housing for an Oly’ EM-5 MK II, and the other end are a pair of DS125’s.  I’m seeing a few options:

    Option 1: Full blown Ikelite setup (ie twin arm segments) at $270 a set, so $550.  https://www.backscatter.com/Ikelite-Wide-Angle-Ball-Arm-for-Quick-Release

    Pros: Most straight forward, Ikelite makes good stuff (see: current arms still doing great after 15 years of couple-trips-a-year diving), plays nice with their $70 carry handle that I’ve already treated myself to :) , their handles look really compact for travel, ie would fold away really nicely/not awkwardly shaped like the current ones I have. 

    Cons: most expensive option, especially considering my current ball-to-strobe hardware is 1” smooth ball (non-Oringed), which I might need to get as well. 

     

    Option 2: Same as above but lacking an arm section, and I frankenstien in my current 1” arms $170 for 1, so 340 a set. https://www.backscatter.com/Ikelite-Compact-Ball-Arm-for-Quick-Release-Handle

    Pros: Similar quality, cheaper at $170, so less than $400 a set. 

    cons: not sure how well the smooth ball vs O-ringed ball would play together; frankenstienish hardware.

     

    Option 3: Aquatica package for ikelites, $190 for 1, 380 a set: https://www.backscatter.com/Aquatica-Ikelite-Lower-Post-w-ball-8-middle-8-doub

    Pros: clearly the budget winner here.  Comes with ALL the hardware. 

    Cons: Overt Candadian branding (JK :) ) looks like it’ll maybe be ‘fiddly’ to use a carrying sling/handle on the arms, and the knob hardware looks a bit bulky for ultra compact travel. 

     

    So the Aquatica looks like it’s a solid choice, but I can’t really find any reviews of their arms; anyone have any thoughts/input?

     

     

  2. Over the years I have used ULCS, nauticam, and Aquatica arms - they're all pretty much the same IMO.  No major differences.

  3. I used the older version of the TLC arm. Very good. The newer style is smaller arm and knobs from mine but a friend uses the new syle and likes them.DSCF5681.thumb.JPG.f0c9fcca8af62dc4e50fc33eeea02237.JPG

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.