Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish that pilot Caribbean Reef sharks

Started by TimG ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish that pilot Caribbean Reef sharks

7 posts
  1. Hey guys

    Can anyone help me with an identification of this please?

    They are quite common around Sint Maarten as fish that lead Caribbean Reef Sharks- but they clearly aren't Pilotfish. Some sort of Runner maybe? The markings are distinctive enough but I've been through the usual ID books a number of times and have drawn a blank so far.

    Thanks

    TG51451.jpg

  2. Juv. rainbow runner?

     

  3. Thanks, Alex. Yeah I was thinking along similar lines. I thought it’d be easy to ID them but not so far. 

  4. Here's the pic in full for a size comparison! 

    This is not an usual sight here.

    I've just found some pics of a juvenile Rainbow Runner and it does indeed look like that.

     

    TG51451.jpg

    Edited by TimG
  5.  

    Google has these fotos of the adult Rainbow runner.

    11179954_1135693446445990_540764094325491061_n.jpg

    download.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  6. Is there a fish in that top photo?????

    Thanks, Elias!

  7. This photo, courtesy of Google, shows the Rainbow Runners to better advantage:  

     

    download.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.