Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Green Nudibranch in search of its I.D.

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Green Nudibranch in search of its I.D.

6 posts
  1. Divemaster Nus Lobbu sent this nudi photo from Lembeh Strait for identification. Its even green color suggests it ingests and incorporates chloroplasts. I am unable to find it in the books. (The second photo is a cropped enlargement of the first).
    Your expert suggestions or diagnosis are most welcome.

    0.thumb.jpg.1a495edd655cb034b9d0bd3aa6f949c7.jpg

     

     

    113080424_NusGreenNudi2.jpg.05614544eb93888731c8c1ec11ab1b65.jpg


     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  2. Technically it's not a nudibranch , but in the sap-sicking slugs - Sacoglossa.  Nudis have external naked gills and are carnivores.   Your slug looks like it could be Limapontiidae family, I can't see anything like it in the Gosliner/vldes/Behrens book and if you can't find it in there it's purely luck if you find anything via google.  Might be in genus Sacoproteus perhaps.  Here's a few sagoglossans on Inaturalist from that general area: 

    https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?nelat=13.164985606040611&nelng=-171.8941739509579&place_id=any&swlat=-10.822604295287483&swlng=76.35289636154207&taxon_id=245645

     

     

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  3. The photos of Sacoproteus nishae in inaturalist.org seem to be a reasonable match, thank you!   I will write Nus, mention your suggestion of the Sacoproteus, and ask him to take more photos if he comes across it again. 

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  4. 4 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

    And another diagnosis, this one from nudibranchologist Captain James Black:

    "Looks like this one is Stiliger smaragdinus. It eats the Caulerpa racemosa algae. Nice shot Nus !! "

    See also: https://reeflifesurvey.com/species/stiliger-smaragdinus/

     

     

    Could be in either genus- it's probably not the exact species in any of the pics, but quite possibly in one of those families.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.