Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ikelite WD-4, out of round

Started by JohnN ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite WD-4, out of round

2 posts
  1. I acquired an 'extra' WD-4 dome lens, only to discover that the aluminum housing is out-of-round and cannot be mounted on an Ikelite housing.

    Does anyone have any magic to restore its 'roundness'

  2. 2 hours ago, JohnN said:

    I acquired an 'extra' WD-4 dome lens, only to discover that the aluminum housing is out-of-round and cannot be mounted on an Ikelite housing.

    Does anyone have any magic to restore its 'roundness'

    This is an accessory dome that is designed to be mounted over an existing ikelite port.  Just to clarify, you say this is an extra dome, do you already have one and know it fits your current housing?  It seems like it is a press fit over the existing flat port, so roundness tolerance is pretty tight I imagine.  Have you measured it to confirm how far out of round it is?

    It might be possible to press it back into shape, you would have to measure it with calipers to find the maximum diameter and apply force perpendicular to that diameter.   Ideally using a press , but possibly using a vice with padded jaws.  You would have to go slowly.  If you apply too much force it always possible you could end up chasing the out of roundness around the dome. 

    Personally I would return it if I could it must have suffered reasonably significant force to be out of round.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.