Do anyone have recommendations on good books to read for U/W photography? I know practice is the best way to get better, but I find having a foundational book to refer to is handy.
SBP
Read-only discussion
Do anyone have recommendations on good books to read for U/W photography? I know practice is the best way to get better, but I find having a foundational book to refer to is handy.
SBP
Hi SBP
Our regular recommendations are:
Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer" - ISBN 978-0-240-52164-0
and
Alex Mustard's "Underwater Photography Masterclass" ISBN 978-1-78145-222-6
With those two books, you can't go far wrong!
Cheers
Tim
Composition by Jim Church is pretty good too. You can get it on ebay as it's not published anymore.
22 hours ago, waterpixel said:Composition by Jim Church is pretty good too. You can get it on ebay as it's not published anymore.
I found a copy of this book at ThriftBoks.com for about $3-4.
I hope everyone who responded see this….THANK YOU so much for the recommendations! I love wetpixel so much. I ended up buying Alex Mustard’s and Martin Edge’s books. They really are very helpful.
1 hour ago, chitown_SBP said:I love wetpixel so much.
We aim to please..... ![]()
You should see this too - sterling work by Kraken de Mabini (take a bow, Elias!)
View archived post in: Books on Underwater Photography
Alex Mustard wrote this as a follow up email to my book review:
"When writing my 2016 book I read (re-read) all the UW photo books I could find. Some are ego-trips, some simply repeat exactly the same stuff as every other book, and some (a smaller some) really add something original and useful to the field.
I’ve spoken many times about all the different things I wanted to achieve for the reader with my book - and those who have read it can judge if I did. But a major motivation was to write something original - so whatever else you’d read on the topic, there would be value in reading my scribblings too. So I particularly value books that at the time they were published really introduced something new."
Just a couple weeks ago I re-read Alex's book, together with the books by Hall, Wu and the Kohlers, enjoyed and learned from them once again. But the later three books are now obsolete, as they tend to deal too much with the small details of specific equipment no longer in use. In contrast, Alex concentrates on principles and important steps, which keeps his book relevant and at the head of of today's u.w. photography book list.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.