Skip to content

Classifieds / Archived topic

Looking to purchase: Viewfinder of any type for DSLR Nauticam Housing

Started by Newwaterphotographer ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Looking to purchase: Viewfinder of any type for DSLR Nauticam Housing

9 posts
  1. I’m looking to buy a viewfinder of any type that will mount to a Nauticam dslr crop sensor housing. Something to get me started. Straight eye, upward, 45 degree,  any type or brand that would allow me to see my images underwater. Thanks in advance. Jeff! 

    Edited by Newwaterphotographer
  2. Curious why the stock viewfinder isn't ok to get started?   

    That said, I've got a 180 degree, and I've never not used it so I don't know what the stock viewfinder looks like.  But I dove with other people using the stock one last month, and it does work fine.  I got one because I thought it would be easier to see to the edges of the viewfinder with a mask on.  (High eyepoint).

     

  3. Stock  viewfinders  do  a  job , but I doubt there  are many who use enhanced viewfinders  that want to change back to  their  housings original small  viewfinder. I think they're  just  about the  best accessory  available for  a non-imaging  part  of  the  setup

  4. Totally agree with pooley. Getting the 45-degree finder on my Subal housing was one of my better moves! It's now 14 years with it. I'd never go back......

  5. 3 hours ago, phxazcraig said:

    Curious why the stock viewfinder isn't ok to get started?   

    That said, I've got a 180 degree, and I've never not used it so I don't know what the stock viewfinder looks like.  But I dove with other people using the stock one last month, and it does work fine.  I got one because I thought it would be easier to see to the edges of the viewfinder with a mask on.  (High eyepoint).

     

    Thank you so much. I am gonna have a look for myself! I just assumed you needed one to really see the images underwater with your mask on!

  6. 22 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Totally agree with pooley. Getting the 45-degree finder on my Subal housing was one of my better moves! It's now 14 years with it. I'd never go back......

    Thanks so much Tim. I always love your post and excellent information provided! I agree I will probably want one!

  7. Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated. 

    The 45s take some getting used to but as you may have read as posted by others too, for macro and, frankly, most other shots, they are terrific. It's just in mid-water that they can be a bit of a challenge......

  8. As Tim says here, and my own experience has taught me, for macro work a Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder is the best for a Nauticam housing.  If you intend to shoot mid-water and medium to large subjects, then the 180 Nauticam viewfinder might be better. 

  9. I shoot straight and the 45 nuaticam on my subal  d800. housing-its got an adjustment knob on side which subals do not have. They are bigger than subals but I think they work a tad better.I have the 180 straight on an older subal housing as well (d300).

    The subal eyepieces  are more streamlined and staright forward.

    All these are are lesser than the older film subal 35mm film eyepiece which the image is the same size as a 35mm slide is. on the nikon highpoint finder. Loved that housing Subal F5

    Its a bit of a backwards deal like the sound quaility in digital vs The older stereos .Cell phones vs land lines-quality is less .. but we accept it.

    Tools made crappy but they are cheaper its the way of the world

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.