Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Generic/Nikon D7200 Wide Angle settings

Started by swgdesign ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Generic/Nikon D7200 Wide Angle settings

5 posts
  1. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve been diving with my slr setup and stupidly reset and I’ve forgotten the generic settings for shooting wide angle underwater. I shoot with a d7200 and am heading back to Socorro in Jan. 

    I mainly cannot  remember what focus mode, focus type and metering mode to use.
     

    Any helpful reminders greatly appreciated :)

  2. Hi!

    For wide-angle you could use pretty much any focussing type. If you just want the broad sweep of the "horizon", I'd go for Auto Area with an f11 or f16 aperture; if there's one point of interest you want to draw the viewers attention to, I'd go for Single Point then, perhaps a wider aperture to reduce the depth of field - say f8 or f5.6.

    I use the Matrix meeting setting most of the time for the mode; and for wide-angle usually AF-S rather than AF-C.

    Hope that gets you going. Enjoy Socorro!

     

    Edited by TimG
  3. Thanks Tim!

    Gives me some things to use as a basis

    Edited by swgdesign
  4. No worries.

    You can't really go wrong with wide-angle once you decide whether its a general shot of the reef (not very effective by my experience) or you narrow down to highlight one aspect against the general reef background, eg a Gorgonia, colourful coral outcrop....

    ... then it's about choosing depth of field and lighting that element whilst balancing it against the ambient light.

  5. I use a Nikon D7200 and usually shoot wide angle. My presets before entering the water are:

    Exposure Mode:  Manual

    Release Mode:  Single

    ISO:  200

    Focus Point (Metering Mode):  Spot (use the Multi selector to move the focus point as needed)

    Shutter Speed: 1/250 or 1/320 (depending upon lighting conditions)

    Aperture:  f/8

    Focus Mode Switch: Auto-Focus

    Depending upon what's happening in the water, I make adjustments as needed.

    If you're pursuing large animals at Socorro with decent ambient light, you may find yourself shooting with no strobes with a higher ISO and slower shutter speeds. Aperture adjustments may need to be adjusted as well.

    -Tinman 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.