Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need tips for CFWA

Started by Pomacentridae ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Need tips for CFWA

1 posts
  1. Hi There,

     

    Lately moving into the CFWA sphere. I am encountering some technique problems and wanted to see how others do it.

     

    I am using Olympus EPL10 + 14-42mm + WWL-1B

     

    1. How do you get close enough to fill the frame enough to make the subject thee subject? Given I am using a wide angle lens, I need to get very very close to the subject to even see any details on the subject and with that distance I find the subject running away.

     

    I have no problem with reefscapes or large subjects (i.e. divers, humphead wrasses, larger rays). But the small and medium sized critters (golf ball to a little smaller than a basketball) I am having difficulty. They appear more like reefscape photo than a CFWA shot. Need to know if it is a realistic thing I am trying to achieve with these smaller to medium sized subjects.

     

    2. How do you gauge distance and not hit coral or rock? I am using a viewfinder and I lose all concept of distance. Found myself gently bumping into coral or rock once or twice (thank goodness no scratch!). I know I am really close but in the viewfinder it looks so far away.

     

    3. In bright conditions (0-10m) with the sun up high. I get this weird lens flare with my WWL-1B quite a bit. I usually need to shoot with the sun behind my back. Is this normal with the WWL-1B. On land with fisheyes this never seems to be a problem.

     

    Thanks all!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.