Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Alternative Zoom/Focus Gears?

Started by dreifish ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Alternative Zoom/Focus Gears?

6 posts
  1. So shopping around for zoom gears, I had to do a double-take after Nauticam's latest price hike --

    A set of cinema gears (zoom + focus) for the Canon RF 14-35 lens is... $769. Talk about mark-up! That's almost half the price of the lens!

    Is anyone else providing alternatives to Nauticam's zoom gears? I know xit404 makes some. Any others? https://www.xit404.com/collections/canon-manta-line

  2. You could ask deepshots, they make gears for Olympus/Panasonic and mention they may be able to make other gears.  there is also this guy who mentions he does 3d printing of gears;  https://www.bluefishphoto.com.au/3d_printing/

  3. 1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

    there is also this guy who mentions he does 3d printing of gears;  https://www.bluefishphoto.com.au/3d_printing/

    That would be me.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you out with this one.  I'd need access to your rig to take some measurements for this one and that would be difficult to do with you in Florida and me in Perth, Western Australia.

  4. Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. I bought plastic gears from Norelem in Germany and cut a hole in them with a cheap hole-cutter and stuck in a bit of drainpipe.

    IMG_5430.jpg

  6. +1 for Deepshots, they also do ones custom ones if needed, apart from the ones listed in stock.
    https://www.deepshots.co.uk/

    Also, seen a few designs around thingiverse and others, if you have access to 3d printer.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.