Hi,
Well I guess your dilema is also your answer. Keep the raw footage. You never know where this "Hobby" will take you. I only got into underwater video through chance and the desire to help out a buddy with a dive school. He had the camera system and I had the time. That was 12 years ago now. I too made the same mistakes in the beginning. Many a time I could kick myself for not having kept the raw footage. Trying to edit ever shrinking clips, finding new in and out points between transitions - ahhhhh!! - became a real headache.
Before claiming that this hobby doesn't allow you to spend out on tape stocks pause for a minute and listen to the rule of tens. This was a formula explained to me by Jim Watt, one of the most prolific underwater photographers currently gracing magazine pages across the globe.
As an aspiring underwater photographer / videographer you should get ready for the long haul, or rule of tens.
The first 10 years are spent in misery. You find out your true friends as they are the ones who feed you, give you money for new gear and offer shoulders to cry on, sofas to sleep on and morale to carry on. No chance of a bank account, girlfriend or pet dog.
By the second 10 years you've managed to get some of your work published. You have an excuse of a dog who has gotten used to eating every other day, normally at the same frequency as you and the girlfriend has had to sell her white cane to supply you with a roll of film or video tape. The bank manager contemplates hari kari everyday for having beleived your story about becoming the next big name at Nat. Geo. Your friends have become resigned to the fact that you are a hopeless case of a diver. The rush of the deep is often quoted as a means to quieten inquisitive strangers.
By the third 10 years you are actually partially recognised. You're able to eat out at least once a month, the dog eats daily and the girlfriend now has a newly found trust in your abilities to cater, albeit frugally, to her requests of a normal life. The bank manager has finally tracked you down and has been sedated by a bank balance printed, for the first time, in black ink! Your camera gear has, having served you faithfully since the start of your quest, since been retired to the basement of memorabilia along with your aqualung and first ever divesuit, or did you use that already to patch those unexpected tire blowouts on your way to the Keys to get your annual quota of shots for your portfolio?
By the fourth 10 years, you're actually making a good living out of chasing unwitting subjects around underwater. Your prints are sold internationally your name conjurs up admiration amongst your peers and fans. The dog died of obesity a while back, fat and happy, what a way to go. The girlfriend has since become the wife and is now settled into a life of relative ease, except for the times when your ravings about free diving with Great Whites for the ultimate snap get her a bit nervous. The bank manager retired a while back and his son, having taken over the family business now boasts amongst his society friends that you are one of his best accounts, get him to tell that to his old man!!
If you go on for longer than that, well good luck!!!
If you live by this hobby you will have few chances to concentrate on another career. Therefore you should see that you, by way of being a hobbyist, actually are in a better financial position to buy tapes, film etc. Think about it.
I'm now in my second ten years, just bought a dog and have some great friends. My future wife, although I haven't found her yet, has a long road ahead.......a long one but a very happy one I hope.
Anyway I must dash now, I think I've just spotted the bank mangers car cruising, ready for another drive by attempt!!
Yikes,
Mark.