Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Nudibranch ID

Started by Hulkster ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nudibranch ID

10 posts
  1. Anybody recognize these nudibranchs? Thx. 

    IMG_5006 - Copy - Copy.JPG

  2. Where did you find this nudibranch?

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. Sangihe, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.

    8 hours by boat north of Manado.

    April 2016

  4.   Hi, Sangihe is way far out, a real adventure dive island!

      I have searched several different ways to identify this nudi, with no luck. I just sent the photo to Mike Miller and Dr David Behrens, asked for their opinion; if they don't know they will ask Dr. Terry Goslines.  I will post their reply when available. 

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. Thx.

  6. Mike Miller's initial impression follows, that it is a Tambja sp 2. We now have to hear from Dr. Behrens, who may have more insider information.

    Mike writes: 

    "Suspect your unknown is Tambja sp. 2 (Page 43 upper right hand corner) in Dave's Book (1)

    Check out Kevin Lee's BOW (1082).  The rhinophores in the submitted pic seem to conform to those in the BOW!     Think Marta Pola in Spain was/is working on this guy so perhaps it has a name by this time!

    http://slugsite.us/bow2007/nudwk1082.htm
    http://slugsite.us/bow2007/nudwk856.htm

    Am I on the right track Dave? Working on this beats doing the New York Times Crossword Puzzle!

    Mike "

    (1) Gosliner, TM, Valdez, A.,  & Behrens, D.WL Nudibranch & Seas Slug Identification. Indo-Pacific. New World Publications, 2018, p 43.

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  7. Dr Behrens just weighed in:

    "Yes - everyone is missing the obvious - it has extra-branchial and extra-rhinophoral appendages.  It is Trapania squama - Gosliner & Fahey 2008.
    Nice pic.

    Dave Behrens " 
     
    Note:  This nudi, Trapania squama, does not look right to me. 
     
    Reference: same book, page 58, right upper corner.  
     
    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  8. Life is not simple:  Now Mike Miller and Dave Behrens have further refined their diagnosis, and this time the photos match so we can settle the diagnosis as : 

    Trapania scurra. Gosliner & Fahey, 2008.

    page 60, right middle photo, same book. 

    This nudi is a rarity,  a collectors item.  Great find!  I hope I can see one on my next trip to Manado.
    =
    Over and out. 

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  9. Thank you to everyone. I knew there smart guys on Wetpixel!!

    I was either very low on air or out off, when I took the photo as I passed by. Wish I had more time to get a better photo. 

    With the name was able to find a picture on Google. You guys crushed it.
     

  10. Trapania scurra is a good looking nudibranch with contrasting colors and markings, plus its four unusual appendages. I sure hope I find one next time I dive Indonesia. These looking down photos from Google show its variable color, and unusual shape with two extra branchial and two extra rhinophoral appendages.  More photos from the side and front would help us to better appreciate its unusual shape and beautiful color patterns.

    f2780_scurra_m14658a.jpg

    B158108-1.jpg

     

     

     

    Trapaniascurra-600x450.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.