Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony A7IV flash sync speed

Started by DewaltK ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A7IV flash sync speed

33 posts
  1. I have both but my top choice is the 90mm including for blackwater. 

  2. I have both but my top choice is the 90mm including for blackwater. 

    I wonder how the sigma 105 performs as in many tests outperforms the Sony 90mm when it comes to IQ


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3.  

    Currently the Sony 90mm macro is the highest rated macro lens buy a good bit reviewed by DXO marks. The Sigma 105 art for Sony has not been reviewed by DXO at this time. I guess that it must have great IQ or it would not have gotten such a high rating. My guess it that Both have excellent IQ and it depends on which review site you trust. The Sigma is reported to be slower to focus but again this is subjective and may vary depending on what camera it is being used with.  

    • Like 1
     
  4.  

    Currently the Sony 90mm macro is the highest rated macro lens buy a good bit reviewed by DXO marks. The Sigma 105 art for Sony has not been reviewed by DXO at this time. I guess that it must have great IQ or it would not have gotten such a high rating. My guess it that Both have excellent IQ and it depends on which review site you trust. The Sigma is reported to be slower to focus but again this is subjective and may vary depending on what camera it is being used with.  
    • react_like.png 1
     

    I use lenstip
    The 90mm macro has lots of focus breathing so will hunt
    The sigma is also slow but not as slow and substantially sharper

    https://www.lenstip.com/595.11-Lens_review-Sigma_A_105_mm_f_2.8_DG_DN_Macro_Summary.html

    Lenstip is very reliable there are other negative points on the sony including a tendency to flare

    https://www.lenstip.com/561.11-Lens_review-Sony_FE_90_mm_f_2.8_Macro_G_OSS_Summary.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. As I said above it depends on which review site you trust and if lens tip is your choice that's great.

    For me testing both lenses for AF speed on a now three generations old A7R II would not be my first choice. Even though DXO tested the 90mm in 2015 on an A7R II they have also updated test results using the A7R IV and I am sure they will move to the A7 V at some point soon. They always use the camera from all brands that has the highest number of MP's even though this reduces the score for many lenses over lower MP cameras. I also look at several additional sites but I relay most heavily on how the lens performs in the field. 

  6. As I said above it depends on which review site you trust and if lens tip is your choice that's great.
    For me testing both lenses for AF speed on a now three generations old A7R II would not be my first choice. Even though DXO tested the 90mm in 2015 on an A7R II they have also updated test results using the A7R IV and I am sure they will move to the A7 V at some point soon. They always use the camera from all brands that has the highest number of MP's even though this reduces the score for many lenses over lower MP cameras. I also look at several additional sites but I relay most heavily on how the lens performs in the field. 

    Lenstip always uses the same camera for testing it only changes after this becomes obsolete so the comparison is with the same A7R2
    Lenstip is the best most detailed site as they look at all aberrations as well as shooting against the light
    So yes it is my preferred site that doesn’t mean I always agree on how a lens looks
    When a lens has a lot of focus breathing it takes a long time to go from infinity to close and it may hunt
    Many macro lenses have focus breathing so that they become smaller though I would not say any of those two lenses is small


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. So I assume you have tested the Sony 90mm macro on cameras like the Sony A1, A7 IV and A7R IV or is your opinion just from reading a review?

  8. So I assume you have tested the Sony 90mm macro on cameras like the Sony A1, A7 IV and A7R IV or is your opinion just from reading a review?

    Nope don’t even have the camera

    The review will be accurate in terms of image quality and when you look at the autofocus part you see the time it takes to do a full scan
    There is another site where the actual lens design is published and you can see the breathing
    The combination of the two together with test shots is pretty accurate in predicting the behaviour before you spend time and money to house it
    However not necessarily a lens is popular so I wanted to see if someone had examples mostly to check the rendering something tests will not tell you
    I also shoot topside which gives you a good idea too
    Am now planning my A1 system so this is due diligence
    My conclusion is to test the sigma


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. I recently picked up the Sigma to compare it against the Sony. Sigma has slightly better image quality. Sony has slightly faster autofocus. This is on an A7R II.

  10. I recently picked up the Sigma to compare it against the Sony. Sigma has slightly better image quality. Sony has slightly faster autofocus. This is on an A7R II.

    Thanks that is what I was looking for
    Does it hunt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. 9 hours ago, Isaac Szabo said:

    I recently picked up the Sigma to compare it against the Sony. Sigma has slightly better image quality. Sony has slightly faster autofocus. This is on an A7R II.

    Very interesting...

    Please tell us more about AF om A7RII: How is it set up (S-AF on small spot, C-AF&tracking)? Does it work for macro at 1:1 scale? Waht when diopters are added to increase magnification?

    (In case AF is at satisfaction with 90mm and 105mm macro lenses and A7RII, I think A7RIV is perfect for any UW-photographer (it may be different for video))

     

    Wolfgang

  12. I haven't used the Sigma underwater yet. I've only tested it some at home. I wouldn't say it hunts more than the Sony, just the focus motor moves slightly slower. Both seem to perform similarly in all the different focus modes (AF-S, AF-C, focus area size, tracking, 1:1, etc). The Sigma just feels a tad slower at times. But the difference is pretty small. I haven't tried diopters. 

    Both lenses have good sharpness, though I'd give the edge to the Sigma. For me probably the most significant difference between these two lenses is that the Sigma has noticeably less CA than the Sony, giving it cleaner looking images. 

    I think I personally would value the image quality advantage of the Sigma over the slight focusing speed advantage of the Sony (though I don't know if the Sony might have a bigger advantage on newer bodies). But my decision is also influenced by which plays nicer with the EMWL (though it's looking like neither might be my preferred choice for that). 

    Edited by Isaac Szabo
  13. 22 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:


    Nope don’t even have the camera

    The review will be accurate in terms of image quality and when you look at the autofocus part you see the time it takes to do a full scan
    There is another site where the actual lens design is published and you can see the breathing
    The combination of the two together with test shots is pretty accurate in predicting the behaviour before you spend time and money to house it
    However not necessarily a lens is popular so I wanted to see if someone had examples mostly to check the rendering something tests will not tell you
    I also shoot topside which gives you a good idea too
    Am now planning my A1 system so this is due diligence
    My conclusion is to test the sigma


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    First of all I really don't care what anyone decides to buy but if I were buying a Sony A1 or the Sony A7 IV or A7R V which both have the A1 focusing system but without the stacked sensor I would not be depending on results from the much older and slower Sony A7R II. I would prefer to look at results from the A1 used with 90mm underwater and it is excellent with super fast focus. If you are not interested in my results checkout the Sony A1 review from Backscatter. 

    These are hard core Nikon D-850 and D-500 guys and they have concluded that the A1/90mm combination is the best autofocus macro lens they have ever tried. This review is worth reading by anyone buying into a current Sony and lens system. You may also want to lookup the Sigma launch video by the CEO of Sigma and go to the AF section. He says that to achieve best IQ they had to slow down the AF system likely because they felt that most land macro photographers are using manual focus in the 1:4 and smaller range along with focus stacking and other things that are not practical underwater.

      

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.