Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Any ideas about this one?

Started by Hulkster ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Any ideas about this one?

7 posts
  1. Colmani relative?

    704CBBF7-61B0-4D00-9438-7EE765191E46.jpeg

  2. Lovely, excellent photo of a most unusual nudibranch.  I guess it may be a greedy and bloated Melibe engeli .   I will ask the nudi experts and report back.

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. Romblon M. Engeli photo

     

    35970E48-4795-4143-ADE3-DEAE765BE8E2.jpeg

  4. The Sea Slug Forum, as Chris Ross notes, has an excellent discussion by Bill Rudman and others, of Melibe engeli and associated Melibes such as the Melibe viridis: 
    http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/melienge

    and watch this one for fun:

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. Thanks for all the help. Found a similar photo in above article.
    Smart people on Wetpixel!

  6. As I mentioned above, I forwarded this nudibranch to Dr Terry Gosliner of the California Academy of Sciences and noted author of many books and articles on nudibranchs, who has just now replied:

    "I am pretty sure this is a regenerating M. colemani where the head has been chomped by some predator. "  
     

    Indeed, if one looks at the front part of this nudi with a magnifying glass, the forward cerata is not attached directly to the body but rather is floating, and there is no mouth, or head parts; they got chomped off! 
    Have any of you Wetpixelers seen something like this?
    What a great photo by Hulkster, with an amazing conclusion!  

    704CBBF7-61B0-4D00-9438-7EE765191E46.thumb.jpeg.b4c390ab0030b0607cec3987253a455e.jpg.73de6a0a8484d3ae30ec73c39701972d.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.