Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Yikes, the road ahead and a bit of a giggle!!

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Yikes, the road ahead and a bit of a giggle!!

7 posts
  1. Yikes, the road ahead and a bit of a giggle!!

    I've started posting a few responses here especially in the video related field. It's Sunday in Palau. Just been in the office most of the day so thought I would share this reflection of my (shared I'm sure) madness of a love affair with my way of life.

     

    As an aspiring underwater photographer / videographer you should get ready for the long haul, or rule of tens.

     

    The first 10 years are spent in misery. You find out your true friends as they are the ones who feed you, give you money for new gear and offer shoulders to cry on, sofas to sleep on and morale to carry on. No chance of a bank account, girlfriend or pet dog.

     

    By the second 10 years you've managed to get some of your work published. You have an excuse of a dog who has gotten used to eating every other day, normally at the same frequency as you and the girlfriend has had to sell her white cane to supply you with a roll of film or video tape. The bank manager contemplates hari kari everyday for having beleived your story about becoming the next big name at Nat. Geo. Your friends have become resigned to the fact that you are a hopeless case of a diver. The rush of the deep is often quoted as a means to quieten inquisitive strangers.

     

    By the third 10 years you are actually partially recognised. You're able to eat out at least once a month, the dog eats daily and the girlfriend now has a newly found trust in your abilities to cater, albeit frugally, to her requests of a normal life. The bank manager has finally tracked you down and has been sedated by a bank balance printed, for the first time, in black ink! Your camera gear has, having served you faithfully since the start of your quest, since been retired to the basement of memorabilia along with your aqualung and first ever divesuit, or did you use that already to patch those unexpected tire blowouts on your way to the Keys to get your annual quota of shots for your portfolio?

     

    By the fourth 10 years, you're actually making a good living out of chasing unwitting subjects around underwater. Your prints are sold internationally your name conjurs up admiration amongst your peers and fans. The dog died of obesity a while back, fat and happy, what a way to go. The girlfriend has since become the wife and is now settled into a life of relative ease, except for the times when your ravings about free diving with Great Whites for the ultimate snap get her a bit nervous. The bank manager retired a while back and his son, having taken over the family business now boasts amongst his society friends that you are one of his best accounts, get him to tell that to his old man!!

     

    If you go on for longer than that, well good luck!!!

     

    If you live by this hobby you will have few chances to concentrate on another career. Therefore you should see that you, by way of being a hobbyist, actually are in a better financial position to buy tapes, film etc. Think about it.

     

    I'm now in my second ten years, just bought a dog and have some great friends. My future wife, although I haven't found her yet, has a long road ahead.......a long one but a very happy one I hope.

     

    Anyway I must dash now, I think I've just spotted the bank mangers car cruising, ready for another drive by attempt!!

     

    Yikes,

    Mark.

  2. Hey Mark.

     

    Do you know my buddy, Dave Schluckebier, who lives in Palau, and works for the Senate? He is an avid diver but not a photog...

     

    Don

  3. Hi Don,

    Can't say that I know Dave. I've actually only been here for about 2 months. I lived 3 years on Yap filming Mantas and Mandarinfish for two personal projects. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get to meet all the ex-pat divers out here.

     

    Cheers.

    Mark.

  4. Mark, are you the former video pro for Yap Divers/.MRBH? If so, my wife and I met you over last xmas while diving with John at MRBH, you screened your mandarinfish video for us before the mandarinfish dive....... was a great intro to diving with that fish. Guess you didn't make it all the way back to England?

     

    Take Care

     

    Chris Menjou

  5. Hi Chris,

    You got that right. I was in Yap for 3 years total. Having finished a pretty ambitious DVD project for the tourism office there I then had the opportunity present itself that allows me to run my own photo / video operation here in Palau. The diversity of life and dive environments is amazing, coupled with twenty times more visitors per year than Yap means I have a great audience for my wares.

     

    Don't get me wrong. Yap is an incredible place which I hold very dearly. I just have more opportunities here. I'm lovin' it.

     

    Glad you liked the mandarin fish film. Seven months to film a 15 minute documentary! Dedication is all part of the game.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  6. Mark, glad to hear you are doing well. Enjoyed your Mandarin video when we were there last Sept '03. Great fast-forward fun of you suiting up for those dives from the shoreline. Did you have any holiday in Sipidan before your transplant to Palau, any changes underwater there?

     

    We'll be in Palau in Oct and will look you up.

     

    Best of success and happy diving.

  7. Hi how's it going?

     

    I never got to Sipadan which in light of it's recent "closure" seems a good thing. I came straight to Palau. The massive diversity of life here is mind boggling. Diving in Peleiu is amazing. Massive currentls, masses of fish and as many sharks to keep even the keenest of shark officionados busy.

     

    If you come on over be sure to look me up. My shop is located at the Fish 'n Fins dive shop in Koror, where most of the dive shops are. Local number here is 488-4455.

     

    Be good to dive with you again.

     

    Best,

    Mark.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.