Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

RX100Va housing decision

Started by Assist91 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

RX100Va housing decision

6 posts
  1. Hello all
    I need your help with a decision. I ordered a RX100Va because I want it to be small, handy and light when I travel. Now I'm faced with the decision of the housing and I'm stuck regarding Isotta or Nauticam. Here are my thoughts on advantages and disadvantages:
    Nauticam advantages:
    - very ergonomic
    - tested portchart
    - market leader?
    - great dimensions
    - I am a bit of a fan
    Nauticam disadvantages:
    - expensive
    - for RX100 only wet wide angle lens (WWL-C)
    Isotta Advantages:
    - cheaper
    - dry wide angle lens (D&D INON UWL-C95)
    - Possibility of split shots
    - No screwing on and off under water

    Isotta disadvantages:

    - Looks a bit bulky
    - maybe less ergonomic?

    So: in general there are advantages and disadvantages with both. What are your thoughts? Is there anything I haven't thought of? Actually, I would really like a dry converter solution. But: the Isotta in combination with the UWL-C95 just looks a bit "special" in my opinion. The port seems very long and I wonder if that makes for good balancing?

    Thanks for your help :-)

     

  2. You can use wide angle lenses other than the WWL on the Nauticam housing.  Similarly you can use the INON lens on the Nauticam as they both have m67 ports.  There are some differences in the types of bayonet you can use.   Also as far as I know the UWL C-95 is a wet lens, the D&D option appears to be just a seal to keep water in between the port and the wet lens.  I have seen reports of people using o-rings to perform this function with the WWL.

    While it is theoretically possible to do split shots with these small wet lenses, practically it may prove difficult to hold the composition with anything other than perfectly flat waters.

     

  3. Thanks for your answer! But I just think that the Inon fits only to's Isotta? Since the whole port is replaced, or am I wrong?
    Which other wet lenses would be recommended for the Nauticam, if I can do without Spiltshots? For example, the Weefine WFL-02? The WWL-C (and of course the WWL-1) is already very expensive and heavy. I don't really want to switch to a smaller setup and then still carry around a massive wet lens. :-)

  4. 9 hours ago, Assist91 said:

    Thanks for your answer! But I just think that the Inon fits only to's Isotta? Since the whole port is replaced, or am I wrong?
    Which other wet lenses would be recommended for the Nauticam, if I can do without Spiltshots? For example, the Weefine WFL-02? The WWL-C (and of course the WWL-1) is already very expensive and heavy. I don't really want to switch to a smaller setup and then still carry around a massive wet lens. :-)

    You are really comparing apples and oranges The WWL optics are clearly better, while the INON lenses are really only optimised at the wide end.    Here's some sample images they have large shots from the WWL-1 (WWL-1C will be similar) and the INON UWL-H100 with dome.  https://www.housingcamera.com/blog/product-reviews/the-ultimate-wet-lens-sample-post

    don't click on the links - it just takes you to the product page, scroll down to find each set of sample images.  The corners of the INON image clearly aren't as good, but will probably perform better on your RX-100 than the APS-C Sony they used in the test.

    Be aware though the INON images are at 31mm equivalent focal length so zoomed in a little from max which improves the corners.  The second WWL of the cod is at 27mm equivalent so as wide as the WWL-1 is designed for and the corners look pretty good.

    It's really a trade off of compactness vs image quality.  I believe the WWL-C is about 150mm diameter or so.

    I'm not really clear on what they are doing with the D&D lenses it seems to be a solution that seals the INON lens to an Isotta port - do they trap an air gap in there?  it's really not clear.  It seems to imply you can't remove the wet lens UW, which means you can't take it off if you need more focal length for example.

  5. 9 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I'm not really clear on what they are doing with the D&D lenses it seems to be a solution that seals the INON lens to an Isotta port - do they trap an air gap in there?  it's really not clear.  It seems to imply you can't remove the wet lens UW, which means you can't take it off if you need more focal length for example.

    I cannot Imagine how it will work, when air is trapped inside, since the Inon lens is a wetlens and requires water on both sides to work...

    It seems to me to be the O-ring trick that many practice with WWL: trap the water inside with the O-ring, so it cannot flow out while taking split shots...

     

    Wolfgang

  6. Okay yes I see that. Already another league... Let's see, then it will probably still WWL-C... ;-)

    Edited by Assist91

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.