I'm curious on this, coming from a DSLR world. The only time I've used the back panel LCD while shooting underwater is for video in Live View mode, where I didn't have any choice anyway.
I'm about to start shooting a Z9 underwater, and I've been thinking about viewfinders. I have a 45 degree viewfinder accessory which I intend to use for macro. But non-macro, I'm wondering. I can use either the viewfinder or the back panel LCD interchangeably. Is anyone else here these days shooting a Nikon ML underwater, or similar, and using the back panel LCD most of the time?
I like having the viewfinder pressed against my mask as a third point of stability.
I'm wondering about this a lot because I've used a 180 degree viewfinder since 2015, but I don't have one for the new rig. My old 180 wouldn't fit anyway. So I'm going to have a choice of stock Nauticam viewfinder, back panel LCD, or spend another $1800 on a 180 degree finder.