Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Z6/Z7 II best lens option and port for WWL-1B

Started by Svilen Spasov ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Z6/Z7 II best lens option and port for WWL-1B

9 posts
  1. From what I've read on the different topics one of the best choices for Nikon Z7 II combined with WWL-1B would be one of the Sony lenses plus Megadap converter:
    - SE 28-60mm
    - SE 28-70mm

    That said can anyone suggest proper port for the Nauticam housing or suggest better suited lens for the WWL-1B?

    I've got the Z6 II with Nikon Z 14-24mm + 8" Dome, but as I read and read more I start to feel that a Sony lens + WWL-1B would be better choice for UW.

    Thanks

  2. In a nut shell WWL-1/1B will not work on any Nikon Z-full frame.

    The Sony FE 28-70mm is the only recommended Sony lens for Z-FF with adapter for WACP-1 and WACP-C. It is also the Only lens Nikon Z  or Sony that will zoom through the full zoom range for 130 to 59 degrees. 

    I know some think it is sacrilege to use a Sony lens on a Nikon camera but I have used the Canon 8-15mm with Sigma adapter on my Sony camera for well over five years with excellent results. Like Adam and many others I would love to see a mirrorless auto focus fisheye lens for any of the mirrorless full frame cameras. It appears they would rather release second and third additions of lenses like 16-35mm F/4/F/2.8, 24-70F/4/F2.8 and long lenses like 800mm and 600mm rather than just one fisheye or fisheye zoom. 

     

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. 35 1.8 S was listed as compatible with wwl-1 but has been replaced with the wacp-1 on the last revision of port charts, N120 Macro port 12 specifically says “This port is designed for use with the WWL-1 with the Nikon Z 35mm F1.8S lens.” 
     

  4. My guess regarding the Z 35mm F/1.8 and macro port 12 is that no one wanted to spend that much for the port and lens that gets you to 109/110 degrees when you have other options that give you a much wider 130 to 59 degree zoom range and cost less.

  5. Technically I think the right terminology is that the WWL-1 is not supported on Nikon Z.  The Techart adapter and 28-60 lens will work on Nikon cameras and if the 28-60 works with a WWL-1 on Sony full frame camera it would also logically work on an adapted Nikon full frame camera.  By work I mean it will form an image on the sensor at the same quality that it does on a Sony sensor.  All assuming the lens adapter works as designed on your camera model.

    The problem you would run into getting the right port combination as the Sony 28-60 port is N100 and the Nikon Z is N120 plus the Sony N100 port has a focus knob - I'm not sure if the zoom gear uses that knob or not.  So you would be on your own trying to find a port to use with the WWL and may have issues with zoom gears as well. 

    The new WACP-C may be a good option for the Z6/7, albeit an expensive one, but still cheaper than the WACP-1.

  6. The Nikon Z- full frame is supported using the Z 35mm F/1.8 and Macro port N120 12. However it does not seem to have been at all popular. 

    No one has suggested that the Sony FE 28-60 with adapter won't work on the Z6/7II cameras. The Sony N100 focus knob is for focus not zoom. The lens zooms from the housing, ergo with a custom zoom gear and proper port the lens should work. The problem is that these items are not offered by Nauticam at this time, Perhaps the macro port 12 with extension could work for the 28-60mm. 

  7. 1 hour ago, Phil Rudin said:

    The Nikon Z- full frame is supported using the Z 35mm F/1.8 and Macro port N120 12. However it does not seem to have been at all popular. 

    No one has suggested that the Sony FE 28-60 with adapter won't work on the Z6/7II cameras. The Sony N100 focus knob is for focus not zoom. The lens zooms from the housing, ergo with a custom zoom gear and proper port the lens should work. The problem is that these items are not offered by Nauticam at this time, Perhaps the macro port 12 with extension could work for the 28-60mm. 

    If that's the case putting something together is probably possible, but it may be a bit of trial and error as the Nikon Z and Sony housings seem to have different camera flange placement.  You can see that the 28-70/adapter uses a 20mm extension for Nikon Z with the WACP-1 while Sony housings use a 50mm extension with the N100 WACP-1.    The Nikon Z housings use the the Nikon F port chart with the Nikon FTZ adapter and the difference in flange distance is 30.5mm so it makes sense that the Nikon Z camera flange sits 30mm further back in the housing and requires 30mm more extension.

    They also use different zoom gears according to the port charts so that probably means the you can't use a SONY 28-60 zoom gear in a Nikon Z housing, but you could use a Sony 28-70 as there is a nikon Z zoom gear for it, but the 28-70 is not supported with the WWL-1 on Sony so it may not be compatible with the WWL.  The only reasonably sure option for a WWL is probably a custom zoom gear with a 28-60 assuming you can sort out the right port combination and you are on your own figuring that out - ideally you would visit a retailer and try to see if you can develop a port/extension ring combination that would work.

    It seems that you might need something like a macro port 15 for the 28-60 and the next thing to consider is if the housing has clearance to mount the WWL on such a short port.

  8. Thanks to all of you for the advices!

    From what I am reading seems that Sony 28-60mm is the best option for WWL-1B.

    I measured the distance from the Nikon Z6 II flange to the housing end and it's 67mm.
    The new Macro port 12 has 34.9mm length by Nauticam spec. The port flange is 14.5mm and port 67mm front thread/flange is ~15-16mm which in total gives 4.5-5.5mm internal free length.

    Combining the port and the housing free space should give ~71-72mm effective length from the camera flange to the port glass.
    Sony FE 28.60mm should be 69.3mm at max extension.

    Seems like I should give it a try to this setup. 

    I will report back if this was successful and/or if there are any limitations.

    The easy part for the Sony 28-60mm is the Zoom ring - I will 3D print one. :)

    @ChrisRoss I think you're right about the housing difference internal free space. But I think you're mistaken about the port extension. IMHO there should be 30mm less port extension because the Z camera sits 30mm far back in the housing compared to Sony.

    I measured my FTZ adaptor and it is 28.6mm so the calculations makes sense to compensate for FTZ length.

    5 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    If that's the case putting something together is probably possible, but it may be a bit of trial and error as the Nikon Z and Sony housings seem to have different camera flange placement.  You can see that the 28-70/adapter uses a 20mm extension for Nikon Z with the WACP-1 while Sony housings use a 50mm extension with the N100 WACP-1.    The Nikon Z housings use the the Nikon F port chart with the Nikon FTZ adapter and the difference in flange distance is 30.5mm so it makes sense that the Nikon Z camera flange sits 30mm further back in the housing and requires 30mm more extension.

  9. 3 minutes ago, Svilen Spasov said:

    Thanks to all of you for the advices!

    From what I am reading seems that Sony 28-60mm is the best option for WWL-1B.

    I measured the distance from the Nikon Z6 II flange to the housing end and it's 67mm.
    The new Macro port 12 has 34.9mm length by Nauticam spec. The port flange is 14.5mm and port 67mm front thread/flange is ~15-16mm which in total gives 4.5-5.5mm internal free length.

    Combining the port and the housing free space should give ~71-72mm effective length from the camera flange to the port glass.
    Sony FE 28.60mm should be 69.3mm at max extension.

    Seems like I should give it a try to this setup. 

    I will report back if this was successful and/or if there are any limitations.

    The easy part for the Sony 28-60mm is the Zoom ring - I will 3D print one. :)

    @ChrisRoss I think you're right about the housing difference internal free space. But I think you're mistaken about the port extension. IMHO there should be 30mm less port extension because the Z camera sits 30mm far back in the housing compared to Sony.

    I measured my FTZ adaptor and it is 28.6mm so the calculations makes sense to compensate for FTZ length.

    yes it should read 30mm less extension.  It seems like it's worth a try, it always a risk there is something we haven't thought about that will impact the usability.  but it seems like it should work.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.