Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Concern for Dead Pixels?

Started by Dann-Oh ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Concern for Dead Pixels?

4 posts
  1. So I have an opportunity to trade my Olympus EM5-3 for an Olympus EM1-2 + battery grip.  The owner of the EM1-2 has mentioned that the camera has a few dead pixels.  I'm wondering how much of a concern the dead pixels would be.  The owner is a pretty prominent member of the Olympus community who focus on super macro images (he is known as "OneOfOne Photos") and I dont think he would "screw me over" given his reputation within the Olympus community.  I originally got the EM5-3 as a back up to my EM1-3 but I cant stand the ergonomics above water.  Getting the EM1-2 would allow me to also upgrade my underwater camera which is currently the Olympus EPL10.  The cool part is the AOI EM1-3 housing is also compatible with the EM1-2.

     

    What do you guys think? Would the EM1-2 be a big enough upgrade from the EPL10?

  2. Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. It depends how many dead pixels there are and if they create an artefact

    Ask him to send you a light and dark frame and then you can see it

    Most raw editors remove dead pixels and cameras have also a mapping function to interpolate from neighbouring pixels

  4. Yes you can generally map out dead pixels, I'm sure I've seen it in the menus somewhere.

    I upgraded from an EM-5 MkII to the the EM-1 mkII and I haven't looked back.  Some of the pluses include extended battery life so it's a 3 dive camera rather than a 2 dive camera.  The AF is significantly better than the EM-5 II particularly with the 60mm macro.  I used to have endless hunting with the EM-5 II in water with particulates, much less of an issue with the EM-1 MkII.  For me I used to limit the EM-5 II to ISO400, while I am happy to go to ISO800 for things like bird photography.  I've pushed it further of course but those are my go to ISOs.  This experience matches the results in DXO for the Olympus cameras. 

    I'm assuming the EM-5 II and EPL-10 will be comparable image quality as it's effectively the same 16MP sensor.  On DXO the EM-5 II and EPL-7 and EM-10 MkII are more or less identical in performance and the EM-1 Mkii is a step out.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.