Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sea of Cortez nudibranch

Started by michaellamanson ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea of Cortez nudibranch

7 posts
  1. Found this tiny beauty in the midriff islands, sea of Cortez, and needing some help figuring out what it is. It’s about 1/4-1/2cm big.  Thanks in advance!!

    FA0F7853-3241-41F0-8ADD-D279C6570F04.jpeg

  2. Hi, it is a beauty.  Have you any more photos? Close ups even better

  3. Sadly no. Current and it being tiny, this was all I got. 

  4. Hi, did it have gills or was its back flat? I have referred it for diagnosis to the nudibranch gurus, but if no gills, and with small white marks on its back,  I tend to suspect it is an Elysia species 20, or similar. 

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. I didn’t see any gills and I was thinking that as well, an Elysia, maybe different coloring for juvenile. Thanks for checking and appreciate any direction!

  6. Diverkevin just wrote saying it may be a variant of Elysia diomedea, but as E. diomedea does not really match, I still feel E sp.20 may be a closer, but I am still awaiting the opinions from other gurus. --

                                                       Elysia diomedea
    Elys-diomedea_090703e-L.jpg.c749e9f178c5b2f42cf4106c64db8d8f.jpg

    (Photo courtesy Diverkevin, taken near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico).

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  7. Yeah that was my issue, the coloring is soo different. Appreciate you passing it along for more info. Will be great to know 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.