Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

YS-01 snoot

Started by mdo905 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

YS-01 snoot

2 posts
  1. There is very little information about snoots for Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes, so I thought I'd share my recent experience with the Flip Snoot Pro (https://www.uwcamerastore.com/flip-snoot-pro-for-sea-sea-ys-01-ys-02-ys-03).  

     

    I took a chance by buying it without much info or reviews.  In a nutshell, it works!  I was pretty concerned about the YS-01's target light being off-center, resulting in aiming difficulties.  The target light isn't very bright,  so it's impossible to see at depths shallower than ~30 ft (~10m) on clear days, but it worked just fine otherwise and especially at night.  Apparently, the YS-01 Solis target light is notably brighter, so the issue likely wouldn't be as significant for that later model.  

     

    Also, I read a scubaboard forum topic where the poster stated that the hinged snoot would float in front of the strobe at undesirable times, but I had the opposite experience - the hinge was very tight and kept it out of the way.  In preparation for this issue, I placed a zip tie around the circumference of the strobe that contained a rubber band and looped the rubber band around the snoot "nose" for the first dive.  However, I didn't do it on later dives for the reason stated.  

     

    The snoot comes with small and medium light beam size attachments, and I also bought the large beam size attachment just in case.  I use an LX-10 with CMC-1 and CMC-2 lenses.  The medium beam was a wider than I would like for the CMC-2's field of view, but the small beam was good for the CMC-1 (see photos).  I didn't try using the large beam size on the trip. 

     

     I'm quite happy with my first experience with a snoot and am definitely looking forward to using it on future trips.  

    P1050801.JPG

    P1050793.JPG

  2. Very useful information and great pictures! 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.