Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

G7x Mark ii Sync Speed

Started by BryanKimmel ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

G7x Mark ii Sync Speed

4 posts
  1. Hi all. 

    I am new to posting here. I do not usually shoot with a compact camera so please bear with me.

    What is the sync speed of the Canon G7x ii? I am using Optic cables to trigger the strobes and was wondering was is the limit on the shutter speed. Thanks

  2. 7 hours ago, BryanKimmel said:

    Hi all. 

    I am new to posting here. I do not usually shoot with a compact camera so please bear with me.

    What is the sync speed of the Canon G7x ii? I am using Optic cables to trigger the strobes and was wondering was is the limit on the shutter speed. Thanks

    They use leaf shutters so they sync as fast as the camera can shoot generally.  However it's not a free lunch as many underwater strobes will have flash durations in 1/250 - 1/500 range at full power, flashes with circulahr tubes can have a longer flash duration.  At shutter speeds above the flash duration you start eating into your flash power.  It does help that the G7X does not need to stop down very far (f5.6 is equivalent to f15 in full frame for depth of field) so may not need full power in many circumstances.  But at 1/2000 you are at the equivalent of 1/8 power at a maximum if your flash has a 4 ms pulse at full power (1/250 = 4 ms)

  3. Thanks

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.