Just getting back into Diving after 9 years. I have been diving since 1961 and have made more dives than I can count. Question is what can one expect regrading conditions in Cozumel in February? My primary interest in diving is photography. Prior to now I was using a Nikon D300 setup and have now switched to a Sony A-1 and starting to do quite a bit of video. I understand the currents can be somewhat strong at times. I'm looking to work with 2 lens's both Sony f4-5.6 28-60mm and a 2.8 90mm lens.
Would like to get an idea of what to expect.
Hi Flatirons! Sounds like a great trip. I’ve spent a lot of time in Cozumel and am actually getting married there at the end of January! February is one of my favorite times to be there. Generally there’s less rain and the currents tend to be a little more mellow. That said, currents can always be worse in some days vs others. I’ve never found the currents unbearable and if you’re good with buoyancy it can allow for some AMAZING video footage as you sail over the reef with a turtle, beside an eagle ray, or even alongside a nurse shark. Visibility is outstanding. While there is macro to be found, I personally am drawn more to the reefscapes. There are certain dives where the focus is on the reef/rock formations such as Palancar Caves, Garden, and Deep. Wide is king at Palancar.
Hope that helps a little bit and let me know if you’ve got more questions!
Matt PNW, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. Thanks for the information.