Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Need advice on Editing Software

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Need advice on Editing Software

12 posts
  1. Need advice on Editing Software

    So have a copy of Jasc Paint Shop 8 and it will not handle RAW images from the Nikon D100. There is no “upgrade”. They say I have to buy version 9 at $120. Can Elements 3 handle RAW images? Anyone familiar with both and have a preference? What in Adobe CS makes it $400 better than Elements?

     

    Thanks….

  2. Yes, Elements 3 handles raw, though I understand it is not identical to PS, in that respect.

     

    Many folks report better results with the native converters, and some 3rd party programs, than with adobe camera raw.

     

    I love breezebrowser, and I know they do a great job. I think they have a free trial, and are sure cheap, regardless. It does all the conversion stuff for you, but no editing, so you could keep using the program you are familiar with.

     

    http://www.breezesys.com/

     

    Don

  3. Adobe Elements 2.0 doco says it will open RAW files.

     

    There is lots of extra functionality in PS that I miss when I have to work in Elements like fading levels, history tools, and heal tool to mention a few ... but it works :)

     

    HTH

    Lndr

  4. Great info, the question now is do I upgrade to Jasc 9 or switch to Photoshop Elements? Opinions?

  5. Get Elements 3.0 and do your RAW processing with that. Then save as TIFF and finish processing in Paint Shop Pro 8.0 if you are more familiar with Paint Shop Pro.

  6. Peter. What do you make of the reports that adobe's raw support does not produce results as good as the camera manufacturer's software?

  7. Re "What do you make of the reports that adobe's raw support does not produce results as good as the camera manufacturer's software?"

     

    I haven't seen any reports that say that. And without knowing a whole lot more, I would seriously doubt such reports.

  8. I have. Thom Hogan thinks that only the Fuji RAW converter can really squeeze the most out of the SuperCCD hexagonal pixels.

     

    Also with the D1x, Nikon Capture is better as it can use the full 4000+ horizontal pixels to yield a 10 megapixel image.

     

    Of course, we're talking about the D70 and Pshop CS seems to do a great job.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. I have also seen reports that go both ways.

     

    In my case (the S2), I find that for 75% of my shots, Adobe RAW does a better job than the Fuji software. For the other 25%, the Fuji software blows away Adobe. It dependws on the shot, and I have not really gotten arounf to quantifying my results.

     

    I do however use both on a regular basis.

  10. I think ShowMe could help you a lot.

    Although it has little editing feature, I am still very happy with it because its easy use and powerful slideshow capability.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.