Hi guys,
I feel I'm bringing up a question / subject that has been asked many, many times before....but the answer is context-dependent and has evolved over the years. I'm hoping the Wetpixel hivemind can help me sieve through my best options, given my particular circumstances.
I have a Sony A7RII in a Nauticam housing. Over 6 years old now, it's been my workhorse camera for underwater photo and video. For much of that time, I've been using it with a Sony 16-35mm F4 with a very-far-from-perfect dome port combination, as a consequence of the need for compact gear and versatility as a hybrid shooter.
Pre-COVID I reached a stage with my underwater photography where corner sharpness and IQ became increasingly important to me. I now own a separate cinema camera for underwater video work, and with the corner sharpness of my images grossly offending me more and more, I feel I can now justify shifting my Sony to a dedicated, photo-focused rig, and therefore refine the lens and ports I use with it.
I'm looking for a fisheye / very WA solution for my Sony A7RII. I've poured over the metric tonne of info on this forum and UWPMag, especially from folks like @Phil Rudin and others, so I'm aware of some of the options and trade-offs....but I must admit, I'm starting to lose my head in it all and would really appreciate some direct thoughts.
So, some context and priorities from me;
- I shoot predominantly megafauna and WA - mantas, whale sharks, sharks and turtles. Often it's out in the blue, but reefs and habitats are very often subjects too, or at least in a frame with a big animal.
- I like fisheye, and I love split-shots...though a bit of versatility in focal lengths is appreciated.
- I need to balance cost and IQ as the top priorities (ideally using already-owned kit where possible), and travel-friendliness as a second-tier priority. With that in mind, I own a Nauticam 8.5" for my video rig, that could be great to re-purpose.
As far as I can tell, I figured my best option would be the Canon 8-15mm with a Metabones IV EF-E mount adaptor. This gets me my fisheye, allows for split shots, can utilise my existing 8.5" dome (port according to the Nauticam charts, though not the best option for IQ). Overall, it seems like it may be the best price option given I own the 8.5"....but whilst IQ is consistently described as great, I don't know how badly this differs when you consider the lens used behind an 8.5" dome rather than a 230mm.
WACP1 and 2 are not options for me. Too large, too expensive, too heavy.
I've not found enough info about the Sigma (or Sony?) 14mm options and the IQ quality they produce with the A7RII.
The option that's really thrown me is the WWL-1B + Sony 28-60mm. Whilst I wouldn't get the fisheye look and would struggle with split shots....hearing that it would be equivalent to 10-22mm behind the WWL-1, and having seen the IQ and corner sharpness of photos with the 28mm + WWL-1 (as a sort of proxy) I think I'd be content losing the fisheye look and potentially missing split shots in exchange for the extra flexibility in focal lengths.
Anyway, very long story short....given my priorities / circumstances, I'd appreciate any thoughts, images, and personal accounts that anyone can share, to help me decide between my options - particularly between the Canon 8-15mm, and the WWL-1B + 28-60mm options. I think it's coming down to the cost of the WWL-1 option vs. the IQ of the Canon 8-15mm behind an 8.5" dome....that's the information I'm lacking.
Thanks for your time.
Danny