Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hugyfot port for Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX

Started by eikenhorst ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Hugyfot port for Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX

4 posts
  1. I own a Nikon D500 with a Hugyfot housing. I currently use only the Tokina fisheye with it underwater, but I want to also shoot some Macro with the Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX lens.
    Unfortunately, Hugyfot has a bit of an incomplete port chart and this is one of the lenses missing. This lens is a bit smaller (5mm shorter and thinner) than the Canon EF-S60mm f2.8 for which they advice a FLP L70 flat port, but unlike the Canon lens, the Nikon lens extends when close focusing (by 2cm)
    Does anyone have experience using this lens on a Hugyfot house and can you tell me what port used.

    In general, what is the optimal distance between the front element of the lens and the glass of the flat port? As close as possible or is there some gain in having a bit more space?

    Edited by eikenhorst
  2. Hi, I'm a long time Hugyfot/Nikon user but I've never tried the Nikon 40mm. In order to make it work properly you have to consider the full extension of that lens and, eventually, add an extension ring in order to avoid it touching the flat port glass during focusing. The lens should be as close as possible to the flat port but extra room could be considered if you'd like to add an internal close-up lens, for example.

    I use the FLP L90 with my 60mm AF-S and this lens is 89mm long. If the Nikon 40mm fully extended is equal or longer 80mm I suppose you'll have to pair it with an L90 or L70 + extension.

  3. 33 minutes ago, roberto.formiga said:

    Hi, I'm a long time Hugyfot/Nikon user but I've never tried the Nikon 40mm. In order to make it work properly you have to consider the full extension of that lens and, eventually, add an extension ring in order to avoid it touching the flat port glass during focusing. The lens should be as close as possible to the flat port but extra room could be considered if you'd like to add an internal close-up lens, for example.

    I use the FLP L90 with my 60mm AF-S and this lens is 89mm long. If the Nikon 40mm fully extended is equal or longer 80mm I suppose you'll have to pair it with an L90 or L70 + extension.

    It does seem to me that with the 64.5mm length from the technical specifications of the lens and the 2 cm extension (as measured by Nikon Service upon my request in their lab) the maximum length of the lens would be about 85mm, which would require a L90 indeed. The shortest extension is 20mm, so the L90 without extension would be shorter.
    Did you consider the MP 60 macro port for the 60mm lens? They are more expensive, but the conical shape and option to easily attach M67 Flip Adaptors for a wet macro lens looks attractive

  4. 4 minutes ago, eikenhorst said:

    It does seem to me that with the 64.5mm length from the technical specifications of the lens and the 2 cm extension (as measured by Nikon Service upon my request in their lab) the maximum length of the lens would be about 85mm, which would require a L90 indeed. The shortest extension is 20mm, so the L90 without extension would be shorter.
    Did you consider the MP 60 macro port for the 60mm lens? They are more expensive, but the conical shape and option to easily attach M67 Flip Adaptors for a wet macro lens looks attractive

    At the time I bought my flat port they didn't have developed yet those new conical macro ports, which are by far a better and more elegant solution. Since I'm shooting WA 90% of the time I didn't consider upgrading the flat port to new one.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.