First off little background info. I have been shooting Nikon D7200 since it came out, mainly macro (90%) at Lembeh or similar destinations. Some wide also, like trip to Socorro. For the wide, I have used Tokina 10-17 with the small 4.33” dome.
Now its time to get a new setup (gear lust, it hits hard). I am strongly leaning towards D850 (I am looking for Z options also, but not likely). D850 should be enough for me for the next 3-5 years, I guess. But this is not the actual question.
It seems like I will be doing more “wide-angle” places (still doing macro as I somehow love the muck) in the future, like Triton Bay (Whale Sharks and reefscapes), Alor (Reefscapes, jettys), Raja Ampat and possibly Cocos Islands and more Socorro.
As I am still bit newbie with the whole wide-angle thing, I am asking for some help with lens choices.
I would most likely be looking only one lens and I have most likely narrowed it down to the 16-35 or the 8-15. I know these require large dome and big extension which is not the most convenient choice when travelling.
I recently met someone on a trip who had the Nikonos RS 13mm, and he was full of praise for the lens. I have done some internet digging and it seems like this is good lens also. Actually, his words were “It’s the only WA lens you need for Nikon”.
I think its either the 8-15 or RS 13, because i think fisheye is the better choice for me instead of the 16-35.
Given the price for all the choices (including domes/extensions/conversions) are fairly close to each other, I really don’t know what would be the actual best choice.