Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

TG6 white balance issue & dark lcd screen

Started by DAVE4SCUBA ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

TG6 white balance issue & dark lcd screen

2 posts
  1. The TG6 is in a PT059 housing and using the Olympus UFL3 strobe. The camera is set to RC under Strobe and WB set to auto but the strobe only fires Intermittently. The strobe is on RC A. I am using Aperature mode.

    0n shore the strobe fires every time but at depth it is intermittent.  This hapens irrespective of the camera settings for F/Stop and EC level. The images are either completely black or just very underexposed. Histograms are stacked to the left only.   I changed the sync cable and same thing hapens.  I checked the cables and both are emmiting a signal from the camera flash.  At depth the strobe does not fire all of the time. However on land it works every time? 

    If I switch both camera and strobe settings to Full and Manual then it fires every time.

    At surface the LCD screen is bright and  clear but at depth the lcd screen is very dark even though LIVE VIEW BOOST is set to on. I can't see the subject clearly.  

    Not sure if this is related but when trying ambient light shots and  then trying to set the white balance level at depth I press the info button and when I press the shutter I get a message saying " WB levels are extreme. Continue?  With the Yes/No options. This doesn't  happen at the surface.

    IF I take the yes then the scren becomes very bright and pink and photos are obviously overexposed with pink colour.

    Can both these issues be a presure/depth related issue?  I do not know if the issue is in the camera or the strobe.

    Any ideas ?

     

     

     

     

    Any ideas?

  2. Sounds very much like a sync cable problem - in RC mode the camera sends very precise length pulses and it is easy to not receive them correctly.  I know you said you changed the sync cord, but what type of cord is it?  For TTL to work properly the right type of multi-fibre cable is needed.  The fact that it works in manual supports this.  The UFL-3 is a re-branded S&S strobe and they are known to fussy about the fibre optic cable used in TTL.

    For your other issues - what depth are you at when trying to WB and is it clear tropical water or no?  It certainly sounds like it is over compensating for the lighting conditions.   What are you using as the WB target?   Have you tried the UW white balance option from the menus?  Does it do the same thing?  I assume any photos taken match the pink screen?

    On the dark LCD screen that sounds odd.  There seems to be 3 things not working properly on the camera - my first thought would be to see if you can borrow someone's TG-6 and see if it does the same thing or not That would be the best way to eliminate the camera as the cause or not on each of the problems.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.