Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea&Sea 45 degree viewfinder

Started by horvendile ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea&Sea 45 degree viewfinder

3 posts
  1. Hi! Long time no see et cetera. 

    I'm shooting with a Z6/Z7 in a Sea&Sea housing. So far I've mostly used the camera screen for composing, partly because I'm used to it from compact camera use underwater and partly because looking through the default Sea&Sea viewfinder isn't much fun. Topside I always use the viewfinder.

    Now I've stumbled upon a reasonably priced used 45 degree 1,2x viewfinder, namely this one
    https://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital_slr/accessory/011.html#46111

    My questions, for anyone who has used it:

    1. Is it easy to see the entire viewfinder screen using it?
    2. Does it make use of the camera screen impossible or just cumbersome?
    3. Subjectively, does it lend itself well to shooting wider scenes while swimming? Ie not just macro planted on the bottom?

    (Note: when I'm saying "viewfinder" I mean when you put your eye to the camera, while "camera screen" denotes the big screen on the back of the camera. Just for clarity.)

  2. I have the Nauticam 45° on my rig and it's a lot easier to use and frame subjects for wide angle work than macro - that side getting in close has a learning curve, but once you get  it macro becomes easier than trying to use the the standard viewfinder. 

    It is worth asking about clarity across the screen the newer EVFs are bigger and seem to require different optics which is why Nauticam has introduced new models.  My EM-1 MkII is a bit blurry in the corners but still usable with the 45° viewfinder.

  3. 8 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I have the Nauticam 45° on my rig and it's a lot easier to use and frame subjects for wide angle work than macro - that side getting in close has a learning curve, but once you get  it macro becomes easier than trying to use the the standard viewfinder. 

    It is worth asking about clarity across the screen the newer EVFs are bigger and seem to require different optics which is why Nauticam has introduced new models.  My EM-1 MkII is a bit blurry in the corners but still usable with the 45° viewfinder.

    Thanks, very good point about screen clarity! I think the Sea&Sea model is pretty old, at least from 2010.

    For macro today I think using the rear screen can have some advantages, at least for me. Namely when I find it difficult to get close myself but I can get the camera close. This may simply be a case of more training needed.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.