Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help with upgrade from GH5 to full frame mirrorless

Started by WK's Gone Diving ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with upgrade from GH5 to full frame mirrorless

9 posts
  1. My recent trip to Banda suggests to me that I should upgrade from my micro 4/3 GH5 to a full frame mirrorless camera. I'm looking for a minimum of 4k 60p 10bit with minimal cropping. Any suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. What about the GH-5 do you find deficient?  this might help with the recommendations.

  3. 3 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    What about the GH-5 do you find deficient?  this might help with the recommendations.

    My recent experience in Banda shows that it is deficient when it comes to capturing video of hammerhead schools at depth under ambient light, I refer to my two recent videos below:

     

  4. 16 hours ago, WK's Gone Diving said:

    My recent trip to Banda suggests to me that I should upgrade from my micro 4/3 GH5 to a full frame mirrorless camera. I'm looking for a minimum of 4k 60p 10bit with minimal cropping. Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Not sure what ISO you hit there. First you don't need to shoot at 60fps fish that is actually quite slow. If you do that with the original GH5 you are shooting 150mbps 8 bits not ideal

    In terms of full frame camera you can get a benefit however as your shutter speed is fixed you need also to be able to keep the same aperture in order to get the benefit

    So for example you would need to consider the A7S3 that has almost two stops benefit but make sure you can shoot with the same aperture which means as a minimum shooting the WACP-C if not WACP instead of your WWL-1 (am assuming you have that)

    Which is the reason why I am not actually considering anything for video right now after the upgrade to the GH5M2

    Bigger sensor only works if you don't loose stops of aperture otherwise you are back where you started

  5. 10 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    So for example you would need to consider the A7S3 that has almost two stops benefit but make sure you can shoot with the same aperture which means as a minimum shooting the WACP-C if not WACP instead of your WWL-1 (am assuming you have that)

    Bigger sensor only works if you don't loose stops of aperture otherwise you are back where you started

    I would think the A7S3 or A1 would be the natural upgrade path. Perhaps the A7 IV is also worth considering if you don't need 4k60.. Don't see any reason why you couldn't keep the WWL-1 and use it with the Sony 28-60 lens at F5.6 (which I assume is what you're currently using with your GH5?). That should give you about a 2-3 stop advantage in terms of noise performance in these circumstances. 

    I suspect the corners on the 28-60 at F5.6 would be sufficiently sharp for such blue water shots, and I'm not convinced that the WACP-C (or WACP-1 for that matter) would be necessary to get acceptable results at F5.6.  My learning has been that image quality has more to do with the lens behind the adapter than the adapter itself. With the same lens, I think the differences in image quality between the WWL-1, WACP-C and WACP-1 are likely to be minor.

  6. Thanks everyone for your responses.

    I do have the WWL-1 but chose not to take it to Banda because I wanted a narrower field of view so I was shooting with only the Panasonic 14-42 lens. I am aware of the WACP-C and that is probably what I would get eventually if I wanted a wider angle lens. Generally speaking, I am happy to shoot without a wide angle lens.

    Although schools of hammerheads do not generally move fast, there are always other fast moving pelagics such as tuna and mackerel that one might chance upon so my preference is to shoot 4k 60 as a minimum.

    I will look at the A7S3 and the A1. 'The former is 12 MP, whereas the latter is 50 MP. Both are capable of 4k 120. I have no interest in the 8k 30 that the A1 offers. Other than cost, is there a reason not to prefer the A1? Does anyone know which has superior image stabilisation?

     

  7. FWIW, I have revisited my project for the Diving Banda, September/October 2022 video and can confirm that all the clips of hammers were at 100% speed so 4k 30 would definitely have worked. However, I have also confirmed that there were clips of other pelagics encountered whilst looking for hammerheads that had been slowed for a variety of reasons. This indicates to me that I should aim for 4k 60 at a minimum, which eliminates the A7 IV due to the 1.5x crop at 4k 60.

  8. I would think the A7S3 or A1 would be the natural upgrade path. Perhaps the A7 IV is also worth considering if you don't need 4k60.. Don't see any reason why you couldn't keep the WWL-1 and use it with the Sony 28-60 lens at F5.6 (which I assume is what you're currently using with your GH5?). That should give you about a 2-3 stop advantage in terms of noise performance in these circumstances. 
    I suspect the corners on the 28-60 at F5.6 would be sufficiently sharp for such blue water shots, and I'm not convinced that the WACP-C (or WACP-1 for that matter) would be necessary to get acceptable results at F5.6.  My learning has been that image quality has more to do with the lens behind the adapter than the adapter itself. With the same lens, I think the differences in image quality between the WWL-1, WACP-C and WACP-1 are likely to be minor.

    Vs the GH5M2 the benefit is less than 1.5 stops in general this makes it much less interesting
    Sony cameras have a lot of noise reduction baked in which makes it look cleaner but you can do that in post if you need to
    Shooting the 14-42mm with a flat port is not that great the lens is fairly average


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Thanks everyone for your responses. I do have the WWL-1 but chose not to take it to Banda because I wanted a narrower field of view so I was shooting with only the Panasonic 14-42 lens. I am aware of the WACP-C and that is probably what I would get eventually if I wanted a wider angle lens. Generally speaking, I am happy to shoot without a wide angle lens.

    Although schools of hammerheads do not generally move fast, there are always other fast moving pelagics such as tuna and mackerel that one might chance upon so my preference is to shoot 4k 60 as a minimum.

    I will look at the A7S3 and the A1. 'The former is 12 MP, whereas the latter is 50 MP. Both are capable of 4k 120. I have no interest in the 8k 30 that the A1 offers. Other than cost, is there a reason not to prefer the A1? Does anyone know which has superior image stabilisation?

     

     

    Image stabilisation is weak either way

    Things underwater move really slow

    I shoot broadly 30 fps with selected scenes 60fps underwater

    On land 60fps with 120 fps for birds

    The positive of the a7s3 is that the housing is actually same size of the GH5

    The a7s3 is a camera for high ISO however how frequently will that be an issue more than opportunity?

    The A1 instead works at ISO 800 which is kinda ok but you are in a different price range

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.