Housing manufacturers recommend sending your housing for an overhaul service every one to two years. But, is this really necessary? Or can one just do IRAN-Inspect and repair as needed?
After I flooded my first dSLR housing in 2014, I sent it to one of the USA’s three top dealers for overhaul, after which I noticed several of the buttons were still either rusty or dirty. I complained to the dealer, who replied the housing maintenance was not done in his store, but that he had sent it out to a local, home based, guy. So much for factory certified care.
Since then I have done my own housing maintenance: After every dive I rinse the housing with fresh water and promptly dry it with a soft cloth with particular attention to the glass surfaces. Once a year, or after a long dive trip, or after diving in sandy or murky waters, I remove one of the control levers and one control button and inspect them for rust, sand, dirt, and O ring condition.
If both the button and lever are clean, I continue to use the housing as is.
If rusty or dirty, I remove all the buttons and levers, clean and lightly lubricate them with silicone grease, and inspect the O rings for damage. Surprisingly, the O rings are remarkably long lived and resistant to damage.
For the past eight years my housings have continued to work as they should, with no sticky buttons or levers, and with no trip to the pro shop.
My conclusion is one can avoid the expense, time and hassle of shipping one’s housing to the dealer for an overhaul every year or two with a small amount of prompt post-dive care and do-it-yourself maintenance.
-
The tools needed for housing maintenance are an inexpensive mini "jeweller's" screwdriver set, a set of mini metric hex Allen wrenches, small needle nose pliers, and a tube of silicone grease.
- - -
Posts on Housing maintenance:
Optical Ocean Sales: https://www.opticaloceansales.com/files/Maintenance.pdf
Meikon Housing: https://meikon.com.hk/blogs/news/underwater-housing-maintenance
Brend Durand: Youtube Underwater Housing Maintenance
Mozaic UW housing: https://www.housingcamera.com/blog/underwater-photography/the-ultimate-underwater-housing-maintenance-guide