Hi Phil,
I have not been to Magdalena Bay, but I do have experience with the 28-60+WWL-1B in a high paced offshore environment shooting whales and Oceanic Whitetip sharks.
The 28-60 port requires that you install the bayonet mount upside down to avoid the focus ring cap…at least that’s the only way I could figure out how to do it. This means the bayonet release handle is on the right side. I am right handed and found it awkward pulling the handle with my right hand and spinning the lens with my left hand. Also, the stock handle is too short to easily get your fingers in between the WWL-1B and housing, so you have to install an extension to it. It takes me about 15 or more seconds to remove the lens, brush the bubbles off the port and lens, and re-install it.
For close focus wide angle reef shots, I really loved this lens.
For offshore work, I did not like it, and here’s why.
-
15 seconds is a long time when you are focusing 100% of your attention on preparing your lens. It introduces risk, as you should be staying keenly aware of where the boat and propeller are, as well as keeping a look out for sharks coming in from any direction.
-
While you spend 15 seconds preparing your lens, the other people on the boat are finning ahead to get in position for whatever is coming. You will be behind the crowd. Any shy animals may already be gone by the time you catch up. Also, you will have plenty of shots with other divers in your shot.
-
If you drop your lens in deep water, say ‘bye bye’. It’s easy to do when your adrenaline is pumping. You can tether it, but that’s one more thing to mess with.
I sold my 28-60 + WWL-1B and moved to a 14-35+230mm dome. I plan to get a 180mm dome for offshore work, as I think the 230mm is overkill, given corner sharpness isn’t critical in deep blue water.
-Jaycee