Hi WK,
It depends on exactly what the behaviour is that you're after, but I suspect that the setting you're looking for is called "AF w/ Shutter", which is under the AF/MF section of the menu. Regardless of whether this is on or off, you can use the AF-ON button to pre-focus. Then if "AF w/ Shutter" is set to OFF you can pull the trigger whenever you want without the camera re-focussing.
In real-world usage, I tend to leave "AF w/ Shutter" ON, function in AF-C mode and hold down the AF-ON button to initiate focus a few seconds before hitting the shutter button. In this setup the camera doesn't re-focus when the shutter is pressed (as it's already in focus). However, there may be some tricky macro situations where you might choose to shoot in AF-S, set "AF w/ Shutter" OFF and then rock back and forth to achieve perfect focus.
Hope this is helpful!
(Edit: just remembered that this was in the Video section. This was written from a photography perspective. What is the behaviour you're after in video mode? I'd be happy to try this out for you and see if I can achieve that)
(Edit 2: Just tested video out. The "AF w/ Shutter" setting isn't available in video mode, but if you want more control of the focus behaviour for video you can set the camera to AF-S mode, then use the AF-ON button to refocus, either before or during a recording)
Shane