Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam SMC-1 vs Inon UCL-90

Started by UWPics ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam SMC-1 vs Inon UCL-90

4 posts
  1. I am shopping for a super-macro lens for my Nikon Z 6 II that will work with either with the Z 105mm macro (or) the FTZ 60mm macro lens. From my research both lenses are very similar in magnification, at approximately +11 diopter (Nauticam doesn't provide diopter strength). Which lens would be better for autofocus performance on a FF camera, the SMC-1 or the UCL-90? Finally, the UCL-90 is half the price of the SMC-1. Is the Nauticam optics worth the extra money? 

    Thanks in advance! 

    Larry

  2. After considerable research, this was a difficult decision! I have decided to buy the Nauticam SMC-1 because I believe it will have superior optics, and better autofocus. 

  3. I went the opposite direction and bought the UCL-90.  I have paired it with the Canon RF100.  I have not used the SMC-1 to compare but have been curious.

    Would you mind sharing the research links you used to come to this conclusion?  I would really like to see side by side photos with each of the SMC-1 and UCL-90, but haven't been able to find a comparison.

  4. 3 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    I went the opposite direction and bought the UCL-90.  I have paired it with the Canon RF100.  I have not used the SMC-1 to compare but have been curious.

    Would you mind sharing the research links you used to come to this conclusion?  I would really like to see side by side photos with each of the SMC-1 and UCL-90, but haven't been able to find a comparison.

    The only research I have done was in this Forum and results were inconclusive. I was told by someone that has used both lenses: "They are both excellent lenses. The SMC-1 is a little sharper with slightly better image quality, and the autofocus is a little easier." My problem, as mentioned in my post: Is the Nauticam optics worth the extra money? 

    I guess it's just personal choice, but I would rather spend the extra money to get the best. 

    Edited by UWPics

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.