Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 60mm Macro lens 2.8 on a full frame with canon 12mm II extension ring

Started by diggy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 60mm Macro lens 2.8 on a full frame with canon 12mm II extension ring

4 posts
  1. H,

    Has anyone used a Canon 60mm Macro lens 2.8 on a full frame Canon DSLR  with canon 12mm II extension ring. 

    If so were he results satisfactory ? 

    Thanks,

    Diggy

  2. I tried this combination on my R5, but the camera detected that an APS-C lens was attached and there was no way to get it to disengage crop mode. I assume that you were hoping to take advantage of the lens's larger-than-crop image circle, and unfortunately this may also be the case with other full-frame Canon bodies.

    Taping one of the communication pins on the lens stops the camera body from knowing that an APS-C lens is attached (thus allowing you to disengage crop mode), but the same pin controls autofocus. From this, I can confirm that the image circle covers the full frame sensor, albeit with noticeable but not unworkable vignetting. So if you were ok with fully manual focus, you could get this combination to work using the entirety of a full-frame sensor.

    Edited by t.tm.m
  3. On 10/22/2022 at 12:40 AM, t.tm.m said:

    I tried this combination on my R5, but the camera detected that an APS-C lens was attached and there was no way to get it to disengage crop mode. I assume that you were hoping to take advantage of the lens's larger-than-crop image circle, and unfortunately this may also be the case with other full-frame Canon bodies.

    Taping one of the communication pins on the lens stops the camera body from knowing that an APS-C lens is attached (thus allowing you to disengage crop mode), but the same pin controls autofocus. From this, I can confirm that the image circle covers the full frame sensor, albeit with noticeable but not unworkable vignetting. So if you were ok with fully manual focus, you could get this combination to work using the entirety of a full-frame sensor.

    Thanks a ton very helpful, I am definitely going to give this a shot.

     

    Diggy

  4. Not with the 60mm, I'm in love with the 100mm + 45 mm extension ring when I'm going for really macro shots. Obviously you can't focus to infinity. When I'm going to take photos not so macro I use the 60mm macro with the Kenko 1'4x but I don't like it that much because it's slower focusing. Always with the 5D mkII

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.