Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

DIY device to manually trigger strobes? Multiple flashes in single exposure

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY device to manually trigger strobes? Multiple flashes in single exposure

4 posts
  1. Hi folks!

     

    I'm curious to know whether anyone knows of an easy DIY solution to manually trigger strobes? I've got some ideas on long exposure and say if I had my exposure set to 3 seconds, I'd like to trigger my strobes 3 times, at 1" intervals.

     

    Option 1 - should be doable!:

    * One option is to try and totally DIY something in a gopro case, and use the button on the gopro housing to trigger LEDs manually, then connect those with fiber optics to the strobes.

     

    Option 2 - not feasible for competition, but good to experiment with: 

    * Just using in camera multiple exposure to trial (I believe most competitions, quite rightly, shy away from heavy digital manipulation like multiple exposures). Setting the camera to continous and holding in the button is possible, although it will introduce shake if the camera is on a tripod...

     

    Option 3 - very complicated: 

    * Making some kind of hotshoe relay so when my camera triggers a signal, it'll interpret that, and fire x amount of programmed LED shots within a certain amount of time. I don't even know where to begin with this

     

    Option 4 - wasteful but easy:

    * Get a crappy spare camera + housing with a good enough recycle time and use that as my trigger

     

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially for option 1 as I'm not sure I can afford Option 4 :)

    Edited by sinetwo
  2. To trigger my strobes 3 times, at 1second intervals you might use a programmable delay cycle timer with LED display:
    https://www.amazon.com/6-30V-Programmable-Module-Display-Controller/dp/ 

    High intensity red LED's powered by two 3 V coin batteries will trigger the strobes reliably.

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. Thanks @Kraken de Mabini, I'll look into this!

     

    Time to go to my local makers club and seek advice with this, coin batteries and some enthusiasm. 

    I think if I put this in a gopro housing it could sit on top of my camera housing. With it facing forwards me, I have access to the button there, so I should be able to set a long exposure (say 3 seconds) and program the board to do 1 flash every 0.5 seconds or so, then press the gopro button. 

     

    Do you use something like this? 

  4. Ok for anyone reading this, I figured out a very cheap way of doing this. I didn't have time to deal with creating a new waterproof gadget, although I totally will in the future!

     

    The way to do this is the following as per my expertly drawn image (blue "cable" = fibre optic cable detached from housing, but on torch)

    * disconnect fibre optic from house

    * angle torch away from scene

    * option 1: keep torch on continuous, and move the fibre optic cable infront of the torch and away to trigger it whenever you want

    * option 2: keep torch on strobe (like, disco strobe) and attach the fibre optic cable to the front of it somehow

    * option 3: attach fibre optic to torch with an on/off button (single mode torch which turns off/on) and double press every time you want to fire it.

    Option 1 allows you to control the intervals

    Option 2 will be fixed, but will ultimately "auto fire"

    Option 3 is probably the best option to control exactly when to flash

    image.thumb.png.c0318d20ab4d52ad0d6221a000b122c8.png

     

     

     

     

    Edited by sinetwo — spelling

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.