Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dome port suggestions

Started by underwaternoir ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome port suggestions

8 posts
  1. I have a nauticam housing for my D7100, I want to use a 20mm 2.8 lens. I was looking on both Zen and Nauticam ports page and neither of them have a port listed for the 20mm. 

     

    Do I need to get another lens or is there a dome port that would work for that lens I can use? 

  2. 20mm on DX is not particularly wide, it doesn't focus close, and the f/2.8 maximum aperture is largely useless underwater - that's why Nauticam doesn't bother supporting it. If you want to shoot wide-angle, get yourself a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, this is by far the most popular wide-angle lens on the Nikon DX platform.

  3. 1 hour ago, Barmaglot said:

    20mm on DX is not particularly wide, it doesn't focus close, and the f/2.8 maximum aperture is largely useless underwater - that's why Nauticam doesn't bother supporting it. If you want to shoot wide-angle, get yourself a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, this is by far the most popular wide-angle lens on the Nikon DX platform.

    I was looking at fisheye lenses.  But couldn't decide between the Tokina and the 10.5 Nikkor

  4. I've used and owned both the Tokina and the Nikkor 10.5. 

    I'd most definitely vote for the Tokina. It's a super lens for crop sensor wide-angle and has been my go-to for many years (with a break whilst I shot full frame for a while).

    There's nothing wrong with the Nikkor - it's just limited in comparison to the Tokina and hard to see if it is better optically.

    The only thing negative thing I would say about the Tokina is the build quality. I know a few WP members (me included) have found a bit of the lens body (the zoom ring) detaches if you treat it roughly! This is re-attachable by the user but it sure gives you a fight. Just treat the lens gently.

  5. If you decide to consider something rather than a fisheye, the Nikkor 10-24mm DX has worked extremely well for me. i've got a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, but seldom use it. I don't care much for the field curvature of a fisheye.

    -Tinman

  6. The Tokina is certainly a versatile choice and suitable for many UW photos, but probably best to ask what you would like to shoot with it?  It will work well for reef scenics and CFWA. 

  7. On 11/1/2022 at 1:56 AM, ChrisRoss said:

    The Tokina is certainly a versatile choice and suitable for many UW photos, but probably best to ask what you would like to shoot with it?  It will work well for reef scenics and CFWA. 

    I'm going to Mexico, I plan to do caves and sharks 

  8. 2 hours ago, underwaternoir said:

    I'm going to Mexico, I plan to do caves and sharks 

    For sharks the 10mm could be too wide and the 10-17 would be an advantage for more reach.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.