I feel your pain @parrazad, this winter in Sydney has been horrible for diving! I’ve only been around for a couple of weeks this year, but each time I tried going out it was disappointing. Good job with the shooting of the octopus and the cuttlefish with snoots though!
A few other ideas:
- For more “standard” wide-angle strobe positioning, pulling the strobes well back (as well as out to the sides) helps - you may still get some scatter, but at least it’ll be more uniform. You may also find that for your snooted shots pulling the strobe further out of the frame reduces that initial hotspot.
- If you shoot with the sun behind you using only natural light you’ll get very little backscatter - but you’ll also lose the selective lighting and colour pop your strobes are providing (and you’ll need to stay shallow to achieve any sort of colour). One of the winners of this years Australian Geographic photo comp used purely natural light around Sydney.
- Although it’s much nicer not to have any backscatter, if it’s in regions that are a uniform colour (black of a uniform green) this can be dealt with fairly easily in post.
And one other thought from left field: you might find it helpful to head out with another experienced photographer in Sydney, both to see how they manage their strobes and for them to watch you and give you some feedback. I haven’t done this in Sydney, but I’ve been on a few of Alex Mustard’s trips and learnt an incredible amount watching others.
A few Sydney based photographers (who might also throw in some ideas in this thread!) are:
- Nicolas Remy @Nicool(https://wetpixel.com/full_frame/nicolas-lena-remy-sydney)
- Vanessa Torres Macho in Bondi (https://aquaticimagingaustralia.com.au/)
- Matty Smith down in Wollongong (https://www.mattysmithphoto.com/)
- Kevin Deacon in Neutral Bay (https://www.dive2000.com.au/)
- I think Chris Ross might also be Sydney based @ChrisRoss
Best of luck!
Shane